Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Transgender Geena Rocero is this summer's Playboy centerfold

INSTAGRAM / GEENA ROCERO
Filipina American Geena Rocero is the first AAPI trans model featured as Playboy's Playmate centerfold.

As a Filipina transgender model, Geena Rocero is used to breaking down barriers. This month, she becomes the first AAPI transgender centerfold for Playboy Magazine.
“This Playboy Playmate honor is another moment that I will never forget. I will always know that expressing my unapologetic love for my self, my body, my vulnerability, my journey, my dreams and my hustle is my ultimate power,” she wrote. “I remember seeing Caroline Cossey (Tula) on the cover of Playboy, I told myself that one day I want to be like her. To now be a part of the ICONIC Playboy Family is a definite pinch-me moment, as I think of that little Trans Filipina who grew up in the little alleys of Manila. Woah!!!!”
In 1994, Tula was the first trans woman to pose in the nude for Playboy.
“As the First Trans Asian Pacific Islander Playmate, I feel that I’m making it possible for someone to reach for their biggest dreams just like the people who came before me. I also hope that for anyone who’s been deemed ‘other’ to know that what makes you different, is your power, especially the unapologetic expression of your sexuality, gender and the value of your unique perspective. In this constant political attack on trans lives, I am more inspired to unapologetically proclaim how proud I am of being a Trans Woman of Color and an immigrant.”

Rocero shocked the fashion world in 2014 when she came out during a TED Talk. By that time, she had made a name for herself as a highly sought international fashion model. Until she came out, even her agent didn't know her secret.

“At that time, there was not an ‘out’ trans-identified fashion model so I made the decision to hide my personal journey in order to survive,” she revealed. “After years of being a successful model, my depression and the paranoia of being ‘Outed’ grew larger every day. The shame that I felt about my transness limited the expression of my full self, my ideas and dreams.”

PLAYBOY
Some poses of Geena Rocero's photo spread in Playbody.

Since then, she has become an activist for trans people and the LGBTQ community. She founded a nonprofit, Gender Proud, which uses media to educate and advocate on behalf of the transgender community.

"For so long, we trans people have not been in charge of our own stories," she said in her Playboy article. "Our representation has been predicated on the idea that we’re not the people we are.

Rocero added: "Obviously, this is who we are. This is our lived experience. It’s not up for debate."
__________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment