Friday, June 21, 2019

Naomi Osaka in danger of losing her No. 1 ranking

No. 1 ranked Naomi Osaka had problems on Bermingham's grass courts.

Grass and clay tennis courts continue to baffle Naomi Osaka. She earned her No. 1 ranking among women tennis players by winning on the hard surfaces at the US  and the Australian Opens.

For the second tournament in a row, Osaka was eliminated early. In what was supposed to be a tuneup to Wimbledon's grass courts, Osaka was ousted by Yulia Prtintseve, the world's No. 43 ranked player,  6-1, 6-3.

On Thursday (June 20), from the begining the Japanese American player had trouble finding her footing, dropping the first three games without making a valiant effort. 

Noticing her low energy, coach Jermaine Jenkins did not hold back when the players changed courts.

“You got to get out of bed. Like you’re still asleep out here. You got to wake up,” said Jenkins sternly told Osaka. “Like, I need to see more energy; show me some passion; look invested.

“You know, like jump around. You got to get yourself going. You got to get your energy up.”

Osaka, playing for Japan, finally woke up in the second set but by then she had dug herself into a hold; a case of too little, too late.
At the French Open, which is played on clay, Osaka lost in the third round on June 1.
With French Open champion No. 2 Ashleigh Barty advancing earlier in the day, Osaka finds her No. 1 ranking in jeopardy. If the world's No. 2 player wins the grass-court title in Birmingham, she'll become No. 1 on Monday.
Earlier in the week, Osaka was asked whether her position on top of the rankings ladder was important to her. “During my entire clay season, it kind of mattered,” she replied. “And I think it showed because I was stressed out the entire time.
“So, for me, now, I'm just having fun. I'm enjoying it. And I know that if I play well, then I'll be No. 1. But you kind of have to deserve the spot that you're in and if I lose in the first round, I don't deserve to be No. 1.”
__________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment