Thursday, June 6, 2019

Graphic novelist seeks new publisher for his latest novel

FACEBOOK
Graphic novelist Joshua Luna's artwook is often laced with social commentary.

ASAM NEWS



A graphic novelist whose latest work has been rejected by his publisher went on a twitter storm pleading with his fans to back his work.
Joshua Luna wrote a novel on Filipino American and Asian American identity, Americanizasian, A Filipino American Comic Creator’s Awakening.

Luna says Image Comics first rejected the book and then approved it, only to reject it later. You can read his entire tweet below.

Luna said his novel was original rejected as too negative, but when an Asian American employee at Image Comics agreed to back the work, the publisher relented. Then when he submitted the cover, Image Comics attorneys claimed the cover had copyright issues. Once again, Luna says Image Comics withdrew its support. The graphic novelist offers to change the cover, were allegedly rejected

“When I realized Image was not being forthcoming in moving my project forward (even after I promptly and thoroughly provided them a list of strips that may pose a legal problem) and the conversations were becoming increasingly contentious, I knew my career was already in jeopardy whether I stayed silent or chose to speak up. My options were dwindling,” Luna told Comics Beat.



Rejected cover for 'Americanizasian.'
“Ultimately, I knew I couldn’t get help if I didn’t ask for it. I just had to believe that the community of people who’ve enjoyed my strips would be there for me, and they were. The outpouring of support over the past few days has been overwhelming. Image has been my home since 2004, but maybe I’d found a new kind of home without even realizing it.”

A former employee of Image Comics called Luna’s actions “classless and unfounded,” according to Bleeding Cool. The tweet reportedly from former Image publisher Erik Larsen has been removed.


In an interview in The Beat, Luna described what his graphic novel is about.
"Americanizasian is an original graphic novel that collects my online comic strips exploring Filipino American and Asian American identity through fictional and non-fictional situations based on my observations, struggles, and experiences, particularly from my point of view as a comic creator. The book also includes new, never-before-seen content that tie all the strips into an overall narrative, documenting my journey of self-actualization and self-love as I learn to dissect and embrace my Filipino/Asian identity after a lifetime of being taught to do the opposite.
"From what I’ve seen, my book is a little unusual because it blends the genres of autobiographical memoir, political cartoons, and comic books. Each strip tackles a complex and difficult topic about the Asian American experience and condenses it onto a single page, and I can’t say I’ve seen that done before.
"What’s also unusual is my audience. Since my background is in the comic book world, these strips were originally geared toward comic book readers. But over time, I’ve been surprised to be approached by so many educators who’ve told me they share my comics with their students and greatly enjoy the engaging discussions that result. So I think Americanizasian can act as a bridge between the comic book and academic world, which is exciting. It’s like halo-halo—many disparate layers of ingredients blended together into one delicious treat."
Luna still intends to publish his graphic novel. "I need a publisher who is POC-friendly and supports the book's message and tone. In the meantime, I need your suppor," he said.

He admits that speaking out about this is "risky and terrifying, but silence would only add to the pain this has caused. So if you've enjoyed my comics, please pledge to my Patreon and/or donate via PayPal so that I can continue making them."


Views From the Edge contributed to this report.


JOSH LUNA
Filipino American Josh Luna's artwork is laced with social commentary.
For momre example's of Luna's work, click to his webpage.

__________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment