Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Dwayne Johnson rocks MTV Awards

SCREEN CAPTURE / BET
Lana Condor and Noah Centineo accept their MTV award.

Superstar Dwayne Johnson paid tribute to his mixed-race heritage with a bevy of breakdancers and Samoans performing the siva tua, the Samoan version of the Maori haka to the Queen classic song "We Will Rock You" at the MTV Movie & TV Awards.


The glitzy entrance was surpassed by his passionate acceptance speech for receiving the Icon Generation Award.

“I thank you, all of you at home. You are the reason I’m getting this…I want to share a really quick lesson with you guys, I’ve learned the most powerful thing we can be is ourselves,” he said.


SCREEN CAPTURE / BET
Dwayne Johnson accepts MTV's Icon Generation award.

“We are still that little kid just aspiring to be something better, aspiring to be important. When I first got to Hollywood, Hollywood they didn’t know what the hell to do with me. I mean I was half black, half Samoan, six-foot-four, 275-pound pro wrestler…I was told at that time you’ve got to be a certain way, you’ve got to drop some weight, you’ve got to be somebody different, you’ve got to stop working out, stop doing the things that I love, you’ve got to stop calling yourself ‘The Rock.’ For years I bought into it because you think, ‘Oh, that’s what I’m supposed to do and I was miserable doing that. I made a choice that I wasn’t going to conform to Hollywood, Hollywood was going to conform to me,” he continued.

"So, yes it’s important that you are your most authentic self.”

According to MTV, "the Generation Award celebrates actors whose diverse contributions to film and television have turned them into household names in the industry." Past winners have included Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pratt, Will Smith, Sandra Bullock, and Tom Cruise.





The former pro wrestler closed his speech with this sage advice: “When I was 15, I heard a quote and I’ll never forget it, 'It’s nice to be important but it’s more important to be nice.'”

MTV, which still caters to a youthful audience, also gave The Best Kiss award to Lana Condor and Noah Centineo for their kiss in the Netflix romantic comedy To All The Boys I Ever Loved.

______________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment