Friday, June 14, 2019

TGIF Feature: 10-year-old -- without hands --wins handwriting contest

PINTEREST
Sara Henesley doesn't let heer disability stop her from accomplishing anything.

When I worked for a local government agency, one of my tasks was to run an internship program and one of the things I noticed about the young interns printed when they wrote, even when they signed their legal signatures. Cursive writing is a dying art.


Apparently, they were not taught how to write in cursive, those smooth, curvy lines, all connected, where the pen never leaves the sheet until a word is conveyed.

With the popularity of smartphones and computers, handwriting is an ancient form of communication for the Millennials, but not for 10-year-old Sara Henesley, who was born in China and adopted four-years ago by an American couple.

She recently entered the Nicholas Maxim Award in the 2019 Zaner-Bloser National Handwriting Contest, a pretty astonishing feat because she was born without hands. The judges were so impressed with her perfect penmanship that she given the award Wednesday (Jun 12), the Nicholas Maxim Award, given to contestants with an intellectual, physical or developmental disability.

“The things I can’t do, I try to figure out the ways I can do it and try my best to make it work,” the third-grader told WJZ. “I just try my hardest and put my mind to it and this is what happens.”

Sara, a third-grader at St. John Regional Catholic School in Frederick, Maryland told Good Morning America “I felt excited and proud,” about the award, she told GMA.

Sara, who writes by holding her pencil between the ends of her arms, was trained in the fine art of penmanship by her teacher and quickly learned to love writing. “She can do just about anything — oftentimes better than me or my husband,” her mother, Cathryn Hinesley, told CNN.


Sara’s teacher, Cheryl Churilla, told the Washington Post: “I have never heard this little girl say, ‘I can’t.’ She’s a little rock star. She tackles absolutely everything you can throw at her, and she gives it her best."
____________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment