Friday, June 19, 2020

TGIF Feature: H.E.R. releases protest song, 'I Can't Breathe'


H.E.R. has officially released a protest song “I Can’t Breathe,” which she wrote in response to recent police killings of unarmed Black people.

Grammy-winning singer-songwriter H.E.R. delivers the painful words that has become a rallying cry for a movement. On Wednesday (June 10), she debuted the new song, "I Can't Breathe," which described as "very painful" and "very revealing," during iHeartRadio's Living Room Concert Series.

The Filipina American blues artist sang: "What is a gun to a man that surrenders / What's it gonna take for someone to defend her / If we all agree that we're equal as people / Then why can't we see what's evil?" Then, Floyd's words reverberate throughout an explosive chorus: "I can't breathe / You're taking my life from me / I can't breathe / Will anyone fight for me?"

“Praying for change ’cause the pain makes you tender,” H.E.R. sings. “All of the names you refuse to remember/Was somebody’s brother, friend/Or a son to a mother that’s crying, saying/’I can’t breathe, you’re taking my life from me.'”


“These lyrics were kind of easy to write because it came from a conversation of what’s happening right now, what’s been happening, and the change that we need to see,” said H.E.R., also known as Gabriella Wilson. 

“I think music is powerful when it comes to change and when it comes to healing and that’s why I wrote this song, to make a mark in history. And I hope this song does that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment