Thursday, June 18, 2020

'The Good Place' producer in hot water for racist tweets against Asian Americans

FACEBOOK
Megan Amram with The Good Place cast members Manny Jacinto and Jameela Jamil.

A producer and co-writer on NBC’s The Good Place, has apologized for posting offensive tweets several years ago that have resurfaced.
Megan Amram, 32, posted a long apology days after decade-old tweets from , were discovered and circulated around social media, Many of her tweets were racist towards Asian Americans.

“I would like to address some tweets from over the past decade that have been circulating recently,” Amram tweeted out late Wednesday, June 17. “I fear this will not convey everything that I want it to, but I am speaking from the heart and trying my best to communicate my sincere regret. I am deeply embarrassed and more apologetic than you can ever know.”



Cartoonist Joshua Luna tweeted in January of this year how he disliked how Filipinos are depicted throughout the series' four year run.



In her apology, posted almost six-months since her offensive tweets were discovered, Amran especially expressed her regret for offending Asian Americans. In the last four years, she has written for The Good Place, which features Filipino American Manny Jacinto and Indian American Jameela Jamil.

“My instinct is to share the varying degrees of explanation for every tweet that has offended, but I know full well there are no excuses. I will be sorry for as long as I live that I have hurt even one person, and I very much understand why my words have hurt many more. Also, I specifically would like to apologize to the Asian American community, who I have hurt most with my tweets. I very much understand why you are hurt,” she wrote.


Amran said since wrote the offensive tweets, she has grown as a person and the postings no longer reflect the person she is today.






No comments:

Post a Comment