Saturday, June 20, 2020

American Ballet Theater's principal dancer Stella Abrera retires




After 24 years at one of the premiere ballet companies in the United States, Stella Abrera is retiring.

The 42-year old Filipina American principal dancer for American Ballet Theater was supposed to have her farewell performance last June 13 but the social restrictions brought about by the pandemic forced her to miss out on her final standing ovation and bouquets.

STELLA ABRERA
“I always thought my heart would break on this day, and it’s true that it does ache, but I see now that it’s because my heart is so full—it’s bursting with love and gratitude for everyone who has made this twisty, exhilarating, colorful journey I’ve been on, one of which dreams are made,” Abrera posted on Instagram June 15. “ABT will forever be in my heart—thank you and farewell.”

She is reportedly traveling and not available for further comment.

When she returns, she will move into a new chapter in her life as artistic director at Kaatsbaan, the 153-acre cultural park for dance in Tivoli, N.Y.

“Dancing at American Ballet Theater for 24 years has been a realization of a dream,’’ the 41-year-old Abrera said in a statement, “and now I’m inspired to impact the art form from the other side of the proscenium.’’



Abrera was only a junior year at South Pasadena High School in Califoria when she was invited to join the prestigious ballet company based in New York.

“It’s very rare that something happens like what happened to me,’’ she said in an interview with the Review. “Imagine the millions of ballet students there are, and there are 90 spots in ABT.

“I was really lucky to get my dream company. I wanted to dance with ABT since I knew what ballet was.’’

Her first  performance as a lead dancer was something out of a Hollywood movie. Five years ago when the principal dancer was injured for her role -- ironically, enough -- in Giselle. As the backup dancer, Abrera stepped in and was so impressive that she was made a principal dancer shortly thereafter.

In her new position as Kaatsbaan's artistic director, Abrera’s position will include working with artists on their projects. She will also teach and coach dancers as the head of Kaatsbaan’s ballet intensives and the Pro-Studio/Stella Abrera program, which launched last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment