Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Padma Lakshmi's new food show presents 'American' food, with a side of politics




Just what is American food?

Most likely someone would respond, "a hotdog." Sorry, that's German in origin.n

How about the fortune cookie, chop suey, the burrito? Sorry, hella American.

Padma Kakshmi - cookbook author, food show host and cultural commentator -- attempts to examine this question in her new show Taste the Nation, which premieres June 18.

Taste The Nation is a show about what connects us as Americans and as human beings,” Lakshmi wrote in an Instagram post.


The show that airs on the Hulu streaming channel takes audiences on a journey across America, exploring the rich and diverse food culture of various immigrant groups, seeking out the people who have so heavily shaped what American food is today. 

From indigenous communities to recent immigrant arrivals, Padma breaks bread with Americans across the nation to uncover the roots and relationship between our food, our humanity and our history – ultimately revealing stories that challenge notions of identity, belonging, and what it means to be American.

“It’s a project I’ve spent years developing.," says the Indian American host of Top Chef. "We traveled across the country visiting indigenous and immigrant communities to find out what American food is today. The process was incredibly emotional and rewarding, a journey I will never forget. “⁣

Unlike her other efforts, Taste The Nation lets Padma be Padma. It allows her to voice her opinions and lets her guests air their views. If you are a follower of Lakshmi's tweets, you're going to love this.


What would the American food scene be without Chinese American restaurants, without Taco Bell, without sushi or jambalaya? It would be boring, she contends.

“I want to hear these stories,” Padma told me on a recent phone call. “I don’t want to hear the same Eurocentric stuff. I’m bored.” Throughout the 10-episode season, there’s creamy bowls of khao soi, cheesy bean burritos, indigenous three sisters salad, and so many other vibrant flavors. 


"I have also been frustrated that [my worth] has not been as deeply weighted as my male colleagues who work less than I do frankly. I was sick of it. I really am thankful to Hulu for giving me the opportunity to do this show in the way that I wanted," she said in an interview on Thrillist.

At a time in US history when immigrants are being villified, and bigots feel emboldened to attack foreign-looking people, Lakshmi is not afraid to wade into some uncomfortable conversations.

"I wanted to remind people that America actually had a tradition and legacy of welcoming outsiders and welcoming people who do need a safe haven, who do come here looking for a better life," Lakshmi says.

Yes, there’s hot dogs too -- and also an explainer on how those snappy sausages came to the US by way of immigrants.


No comments:

Post a Comment