Saturday, April 13, 2019

After sound defeat, Guardians of the Galaxy star retires from wrestling for good

INSTAGRAM / DAVE BAUTISTA
Former wrestling champion Dave Autista is helped out of the arena after losing his first return match.
(UPDATED July 11 to include reaction quote from Dave Bautista.)

I'm not sure what drove Dave Bautista to return to the ring after a five year absence, at the age of 50. Whatever it was, I'm sure Drax of Guardians of the Galaxy regrets it.


In a WrestleMania match Sunday (April 7), Bautista had his nose ring ripped out by his opponent Triple H in an anything-goes match. That was not the results the six-time (World Heavyweight Championship four times and the WWEChampionship twice.) wrestling champ had hoped for.

Or, maybe it was.

The following day, Monday, the Filipino American professional wrestler-turned-actor announced his retirement (permanently, we hope) from wrestling so he could concentrate on his blossoming movie career.

Bautista, who wrestled under the name Batista, posted on Instagram:

“To all the WWE fans across the world that gave me the opportunity to suspend your disbelief, thank you. From the biggest part of my heart thank you for letting me entertain you. Tonight was my story book ending and I wanted to leave you with all I had to give. I’ll miss this theater of violence more than I can express in words but I am officially retiring from Sports Entertainment. I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished, I leave in great health, and without a doubt the show will go on. I had a hell of a run. Thank you for the journey.”

Months after the event, as a guest of late night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel, Wednesday (July 10) night, Bautista said, "I always wanted to go out in my own terms ... flat on my back."

Watch the final minutes of Bautista's wrestling match (Warning: its violent.):



Bautista’s retirement will leave him free to concentrate on his blossoming career in Hollywood. His upcoming projects include Avengers: Endgame (Apr 24) and Stuber (Jul 11). Bautista's My Spy, with Ken Jeong, will be released later this year.

Deadline reported that Bautista will star in the  zombie film, Army Of The Dead. He will also reprise his signature role of Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. and just inked a deal to star in the upcoming remake of Dune.


All that beats having your nose ring ripped out.
_______________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment