Monday, March 25, 2019

Naomi Osaka being sued by former coach

Tennis star Naomi Osaka is still uncomfortable in the spotlight.

Naomi Osaka is finding out that being No. 1 isn't as fun as it's supposed to be. Everybody wants a piece of you -- on the playing courts and the courts of law.


The Japanese American women's player is reportedly being sued by her former coach Christophe Jean, who worked with the two-time Grand Slam winner when she was 13 and wants 20 percent of her earnings.

According to TMZ, Jean says he signed a contract with Osaka's father, Francois, who he says could not afford to pay the coach for his services training both Osaka and her sister, Mari.

Jean says the contract entitles him to 20 percent of Naomi and Mari Osaka's "tennis prize money and endorsement deals forever." He believes he's due $2 million (£1.5 million), per TMZ.

Alex Spiro, Osaka's lawyer, said in a statement, via Dave Hydeof the South Florida Sun Sentinel that Jean's claim is "particularly absurd."

Osaka, who at 21 experts say hasn't reached her physical prime yet, has had her problems with coaches. She split with Sascha Bajin in February after she won the Australian Open. At the time, Osaka said the decision was not for financial reasons, according to BBC Sport.

"Everyone thinks it was a money-related issue, but it wasn't," she said. "I wouldn't put success over my happiness. I'm not going to sacrifice that just to keep a person around. That's one of the most hurtful things I've ever heard."

Osaka hired Jermaine Jenkins, a former hitting coach of Venus Williams, as her new coach in March, reported  ESPN.  

According to Forbes, Osaka tops women tennis players in total earnings with $3,119,354 as of February.

But that bit of news doesn't take away the sting of the stunning loss Saturday at the Miami Open when she was beaten by No. 27 reanked player, Hsieh Su-wei of Taiwan.

“I want to win every match I play,” Osaka said after her loss to Hsieh. “I feel like I’ve dealt with the stress of people asking me if I have pressure because I have the No.1 next to my name. I thought I was doing fine with that, but I guess I’m not.
____________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment