Friday, March 15, 2019

Lilly Singh makes history as new late-night host

SCREEN CAPTURE / NBC
Jimmy Kimmel, left, and Seth Meyer, right, welcome Lilly Singh to NBC's late night lineup.

YouTube star Lilly Singh has broken through to the big time. She's been named as the new host of NBC's newest late night talk show,  “A Little Late with Lilly Singh.” 

Singh announced her new gig on social media, posting, "It's official. Ya girl is getting her own  @nbc late night show ..." Later -- much later -- she made the formal announcement on the Jimmy Kimmel Show.

She will be replacing Carson Daly for the time slot, 1:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. In her new job, she'll be marking two "firsts:" She will be the first host of Asian descent for a late-night talk show and she'll be the first woman to host a late-night talk show full-time.



“A Little Late” will feature the Asian Canadian host conducting in-studio interviews, as well as feature pre-taped comedy sketches and other “signature elements.”

“Lilly is truly a star and we’re thrilled to welcome her to our NBC family,” said Doug Vaughan, executive vice president, special programs and late night, NBC Entertainment. “She is a multi-talented performer who will surely have a great rapport with not only all her guests but also with our devoted late-night audience. We can’t wait to get started.”

Singh could not contain her exhuberance. She tweeted:


As one of the most successful and lucrative YouTube stars ever (where she’s known as IISuperwomanII), Singh has amassed more than 14 million subscribers on her channel.

She recently took a mental health break from her YouTube channel to just take a break from the pressure of creating content. "I want to be honest with you, I could be happier," she told her fans. "I'm not my optimal happiness right now, I could be mentally healthier. I don't feel like I'm completely mentally healthy. There's a lot going on up here that I need to address and I'm not able to constantly pumping out content."

She obviously took time off to refocus her career. Her show is slated to launch in September.

 “An Indian-Canadian woman with her own late night show? Now that is a dream come true,” Singh told Variety. “I’m thrilled to bring it to life on NBC, and I hope my parents consider this to be as exciting as a grandchild.”
_________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment