Friday, December 21, 2018

TGIF Feature: Sequel announced for 'To All the Boys I Ever Loved'

NETFLIX
Peter (Noah Centineo) and Lara Jean (Lara Covey) in Netflix's surprise hit.

IT'S ALL RIGHT to get excited. 
Netflix announced that a sequel to the network's most popular original movie, To All The Boys I Ever Loved, is in the works.

While Crazy Rich Asians was making history and busting stereotypes on the big screen, To All the Boys I Ever Loved was doing the same thing on the small screen. The two movies, along with John Cho in Searching, made up what has become known as Asian August. Three movies showing Asian Americans like they are rarely depicted.

The sequel the romantic comedy was announced via social media with its star, Lana Condor, lying on her bed talking on her cell phone with costar Noah Centineo. The chemistry between the two as Lara Jean and Peter, was one of the big reasons the movie attracted a lot of young fans.


In the teaser, after speaking with Noah, Lana answers another call and says, “You’re gonna make the perfect John Ambrose McClaren,” to an unidentified person on a phone call. Does that mean actor Jordan Burtchett won't reprise his role as John?

In the original movie, based on the novel by Jenny Han, it ended with John Ambrose making an appearance at Lara Jean's door, a perfect lead-in to the next book in the trilogy, P.S. I Still Love You.

“The whole reason why I wrote a second book was for the character of John Ambrose McClaren, who is a fan favorite, and he’s a favorite of mine too,” Han told Indiewire.

The only criticism of All the Boys was that none of Lara Jean's love interests were of Asan descent. Han seemed sincere when she said “I understand the frustration and I share that frustration of wanting to see more Asian-American men in media,”

Is it too much to ask that John Ambrose McClaren be recast with an Asian American actor?

Spoiler Alert!

A word of caution: Fans of Lara Jean and Peter may find the second book a bit disconcerting. 


Condor told Indiewire: “I did read the second book because I was desperate to know what was going on, and it wrecked my world. It wrecked my world.” I was so pissed. I texted Jenny. I was like, ‘How could you do this to me?’”

_______________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment