Sunday, December 2, 2018

Ruby Ibarra's new video 'Taking Names' released



RUBY IBARRA continues to cement her place as the voice of young Filipino Americans, and other Asian Americans.

There's no flash, glitz or fancy choreography for the young Californian. For rapper Ibarra, the words take center stage, accentuated by a hypnotic rhythm that unleashes the power and pride in us all.

"Taking Names," is the second video directed by Ibarra from her recently released album. Circa91. The first video, the critically acclaimed "Us," is an anthem for Filipinas. It was released earlier this year as the #MeToo movement was gaining momentum and women by the hundreds were campaigning for political offices at every level of government, mostly as a reaction to the Trump administration's policies.

Filmed in Oakland, Calif. "Taking Names" features two other Filipino American rappers, Nump Trump and Bambu, part of a community of Filipino American performers and artists based in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I hated roll call in school. Teachers were always mispronouncing my name and some of their mistakes were downright humiliating. You can only imagine how they mangled "Diokno."


I'm certain, though, that some of the gym teachers enjoyed mispronouncing my name, if only to elicit the laughter from my classmates.

As I got older, learned to head them off before they could say my surname. They'd say, "Edward ..." pause. That's when I'd shout out "Diokno." I think they appreciated my interruption.

Times have changed. First of all, there are a lot more Filipino American teachers in California schools. Filipinos are not as rare in the suburbs, anyimore (at least, in California.

And then ... there is Ruby Ibarra. Her raps don't dwell on easy subjects about broken love, anti-cop, sex-driven nor does she denigrates any gender or race, subjects resorted to by many other rappers.

"Taking Names," like "Us," is a protest song. 

Much like Bob Dylan's songs reflected the era of the 1960s, Ibarra's work speaks to the growing presence and influence of the Asian American community; not only the arts, but also in the fields of politics, medicine, education, business, research and innovation; of a people speaking out, shouting out, protesting, standing up, voting.

The times -- as are Asian Americans -- they are a-changing.



Ibarra's lyrics go fast and sometimes it's hard to hear the lyrics. So, to make it easier for you understand, I'm reprinting the lyrics here:

[Intro: Nump Trump]
Yo, Ruby what's happ'n witchu
You got your pare uncle, you feel me, The Gorillapino Pope
You know I be bringin' 'em out but
You brought 'em out man
They got these crazy Filipinos in the building

[Verse 1: Ruby Ibarra]
From Morro Bay to the East Bay, we stay survivin’ where we stay
They keep invading’ where we lay, there’s no debating’ that we pay
That naval base up in Subic Bay
To all the places that they tried to take
From Magellan’s days to Philip’s raid
When the land was raped and they changed the way
‘Til my father drownin’ in that alcohol
And then my mama always be up in that Eskinol
'Cause these thoughts make the brown skin start to crawl
So I take the kush in (cushion) just to break the fall
2nd class citizen never been one
Traded the pesos so we can have ones
Darker the skin and you scared of the sun
Silenced to speak with an accented tongue
All of these faces I‘m lookin' like none
Taught to forget all the places I’m from
But we grew up from the barrio and slums
My aunties be drinkin' that Red Horse and rum!
Never be stoppin’ the work’s never done
Long as they keep on corrupting the funds
Thinking the damage is done and they won
But we stay militant daughters and sons
Let’s take it back to the day of first grade
All of you thinking of throwing me shade
My people are roses that grew in the shade
We came up in places exploited by trade
I kill ‘em wit’ a bar, so hot, ‘cause it’s top notch
Thinking that you top mine? Stop, not on my watch!
Like it’s 12:30 on the dot, on the clock, watch
All I see are “hands up and down” when the beat drops

[Chorus: Ruby Ibarra]
'Cause this is roll call
I'm taking names out
We only go raw
I'm takin' aim now
And when it's roll call
They know my name now
I make them all fall
I'm 'bouta break out

[Chorus: Nump Trump]
There’s some crazy Filipinos in here
From the jungle, yeah the savage is real
There’s some crazy Filipinos in here
From the jungle, yeah the savage is real
There’s some crazy Filipinos in here
From the jungle, yeah the savage is real
There’s some crazy Filipinos in here
From the jungle, yeah the savage is real

[Verse 2: Bambu]
Put my San Miguel in a ziplock so I know it's real
Put my Red Horse in a plastic bag so I know it's real
Ayan nanaman si bam-bam umi init ang ulo parateng ganyan
Pero dapat naman kung wala kang alam
D’bat ka nag poporma ka na ganyan
Para kang Buko Pandan na wala man laman, and that’s “eehhh”
Buhusan kita ng marame
Politicians, police and capital greed, pare, ang dame
I say say my name in the right way
Say her name in a pig’s face
Mispronouncing these linguistics might find you washing up ina East Bay
And at this point in time there are tribal tattoo tribes
All these stupid fools put on costumes like indigenous Etas ain't 
till alive
An' while they massacre the first island man I see Fil-Ams make clans
Sporting tribal tats but not giving back
An' not ensuring the natives can hold land
That's that part I can't stand push that PCN beyond dance
Push that PCN for your college club to build bridges up to homeland
Only time I do the tinikling is when the bullets ring an I gotta’ jump
BIg up to eyes in the jungle that's ready to dump
The guerilla-pinos that's a shout out to Nump
And I murder a drum like it's out selling drugs in the barangay to get by
And Duterte gave green lights to vigilantes - now drums must die
Got a little accent when I rap an I go batshit when on a track
But I hold no candles to the sister-soldier, young Ruby Ibaaaarrrrrrat!

(CHORUS)

[Verse 3: Ruby Ibarra]
You thinkin’ you winnin, but no you ain’t winnin’
They runnin’ this shit...right now
And since the beginning, was taught to pretend
So we bleaching our skin...white now
'Cause even my roots is a product of
When they were killing our kin...wipe out
Oppression from systems that’s holding the power
They huntin’ again...right now
But if they mispronounce my name again
I make em take in every single syllable over again
And so never say my name if you thinkin' you never can
'Cause my name is a part of me and be something I will defend
So if you cross me, you end in the cross hairs
Crossin’ you out when I’m tossin’ the bars there
Twistin’ they face like they mispronounced names
And I’m tearing them down, I’m not stoppin' my reign
Flow so cold goin' off, from the top, so pro
Break ‘em off when the bars go blow
Ain’t no stoppin' though, when I speak get ‘em coffins, so
I’m a problem that’s plottin' slow
Like a sharp bolo, when I’m talkin’ they all get froze
I’m like Pac, MDS, I throw
Hella prophet flows, it’s approximate toxic dose
When I got this I drop it so, keep it raw they know
‘Cause they plot ‘til they stop that soul
When they search off your pockets so
Ain’t no option though, better run when the odds go low
Got your arm in a lock and hold
Hope you say ten fo', or they box and they lock you so
‘Til you rot and you lost control
And they profit though, all these pigs that be plottin' yo
On these kids that they target, oh, it’s a constant flow
____________________________________________________________________

(CHORUS)

No comments:

Post a Comment