Wednesday, September 8, 2021

US Open: Giant killer Leylah Fernandez advances to quarter-finals

Leylah Fernandez shows her appreciation to the crowd cheering for her at the US Open.

The script for Leylah Annie Fernandez' surprising romp at the  U.S. Open Grand Slam is starting to look familiar: Lose one set, bear down, use her quickness, accurate serve and deceptively strong forehand and then come from behind and win the third set.

A day after she turned 19, the Filipino Canadian lefty ranked 73rd before the New York Grand Slam, stunned a top ranked player. This time, her victim was No. 5 seed Elina Svitolina, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6. 

She did the same thing last week when she upset No. 3 seed Naomi Osaka and repeated the script Sunday by beating 16th-ranked Angelique Kerber in a hard-fought three sets. The victories over Osaka and Svitolina made Fernandez the youngest player to beat two top five seeds since Serena Williams in 1999.

"For today and this match, I was only thinking of trusting myself, trusting my game," Fernandez said at the post-match meeting with the media. "After every point, win or lose, I would always tell myself 'trust my game, go for my shots, just see where the ball goes.' "

Entering each match as an underdog, the 5'6" Fernandez has captured the hearts of tennis fans at the Flushing Meadows venue.

“I was trying to do what my coach told me to do," explained Fernandez. "Thanks to the New York crowd, cheering me on, fighting for me and never giving up, I was able to push through today."

US OPEN
After her quarter-final victory, Leylah Fernandez fell to her knees and wept with joy.

Also at the US Open

Another Filipino American, Desiree Krawczyk, made it to the US Open semi-finals in women's doubles and mixed doubles.

Partnered with Alexa Guarachi, the team will play their women's double's match Wednesday (Sept. 8) at 2:15 p.m. EDT.

In mixed doubles, mixed doubles Wimbledon champion Krawczyk teams up with Joe Salisbury of Great Britain to play Thursday at a time to be determined.

Fresh from graduating high school, 18-year old Chinese Brit Emma Raducanu will have a quarter final match against Switzerland's Belinda Bencic at 9 a.m. EDT. Bencic was the gold medal winner at the Tokyo Olympics.

“Personally, I am surprised that I’m here. I knew I was doing a lot of great work that would pay off someday, but you never know when. I’m super-appreciative of the moment." 

No comments:

Post a Comment