Saturday, September 4, 2021

Filipino Canadian teen upsets Osaka from US Open

Leylah Annie Fernandez exults in her win over Naomi Osaka.


Three days before her 19th birthday, the 73rd-ranked Filipino Canadian tennis player battled back to stun the No. 3-ranked Naomi Osaka, 5-7, 7-6 (7/2), 6-4.

After the match, while Leylah Annie Fernandez was celebrating her victory in the third round of the US Open, a tearful Osaka announced that she would take an indefinite leave from tennis.

Osaka, who apparently is still struggling with her mental health, said that winning no longer makes her happy.

When I win I don't feel happy," she explained to a reporter. "I feel more like a relief. And then when I lose, I feel very sad. I don't think that's normal."

It has been a year of highs and lows for Osaka, who plays for Japan. She withdrew from the French Open citing her mental health struggle; she had a high point when she was chosen to light the Olympic torch to open the Tokyo Olympiad; although favored to win a medal, the Japanese American was defeated in an early round.

"I feel like I'm kind of at this point where I'm trying to figure out what I want to do," she said, adding "and I honestly don't know when I'm going to play my next tennis match…I think I'm going to take a break from playing for a while."

Meanwhile, the soon-to-be 19-year old Fernandez, whose mother is Filipino Canadian and father is from Ecuador, was full of confidence and not surprised at her win, coming back after losing the first set.

"From a very young age, I knew I was able to beat anyone, anyone who is in front of me," said Fernandez. ... "I've always had that belief," she continued. "I've always, like, tried to use that in every match that I go on.

"I guess today that belief came true."

Upset at her play, the normally cool Naomi Osaka lost her composure at the US Open.


Even after losing the first set, Fernandez believed she could win.

"I was very happy how I played in the first set. In the break I was telling myself to stay positive, keep fighting. 'I'm there. I'm close,'" Fernandez said.

"In the second set, I guess on the very last game I found the solution to the problem of returning her serve. I'm glad I found it."

On beating Osaka, someone she idolizes, during the post-game meeting with media, Fernandez said, "Naomi is a great person, a great player. She has done so many good things on tour.

"Just seeing her and learning from her game has helped me shape who I am right now. She's a great example for anybody that's on tour and all the little girls in the world.

"I'm just glad I had the opportunity to play against her and show everyone that I'm also able to compete against the best players up there."

No comments:

Post a Comment