Sunday, July 11, 2021

Filipino American wins her second Grand Slam trophy at Wimbledon

WTA
Desirae Krawczyk returns a volley during a Wimbledon match.

It's a dream come true for Filipino American tennis pro Desirae Krawczyk, who with her British partner Neal Skupski, won the mixed doubles title at Wimbledon Sunday.

The pair defeated the all-British duo Harriet Dart and Joe Salisbury 6-2 7-6(1). No.7 seeds Krawczyk and Skupski needed an hour and 21 minutes to hold off a second-set rally by Dart and Salisbury and collect the trophies in the final event of the tournament.

It was the second Grand Slam title for the Californian, who, ironically, had teamed up with her opponent Salisbury last month to win the mixed doubles in the French Open.

"I never imagined I would win back-to-back Grand Slam titles," the 27-year-old Krawczyk said. "It's incredible."

"Winning my first Grand Slam, you obviously never forget it, but a few weeks after that, we are winning Wimbledon," Krawczyk said in the champions' post-match press conference. "It's Wimbledon, and it's just something you look forward to. It's my favorite tournament.

"[It's] something I never thought would happen, but obviously you dream about playing on Centre Court, and that was my first feeling of that. Then to win, you know, a mixed doubles with Neal was just even better."

The first point of the tiebreak set the stage, as two incredible digs by Krawczyk helped her team grit out a rally and take the early lead. Krawczyk and Skupski powered through the breaker from there, closing out the match with a Skupski return winner to grab the event-closing title.

"I have to just go out there swinging in these big moments," Krawczyk said. "I think I just took it and just played well. I think we both played well, and it's been great."

Krawczyk, whose mother is from the Philippines, grew up in Palm Springs, California watching her father play recreational tennis almost every day. She was two-years old when she picked up her first racket.

After graduating from Arizona State University, she turned pro in 2017.

Krawczyk told ESPN that it was Salisbury's decision to switch partners for Wimbledon as he wanted to form an all-British team.

"Then I asked Neal," she said. "And here we are."

However, Krawczyk and Salisbury are supposed to reunite for the U.S. Open which starts Aug. 30. Unless Krawczyk changes her mind.

"I'll have to think about it," said the amiable Krawczyk. "No, I'm just kidding. No, we're definitely playing together."


No comments:

Post a Comment