Monday, June 25, 2018

Minnesota GOP chair called racist slur by Republican leaders

Jennifer Carnahan, chair of Minnesota GOP

THE CHAIR of the State Republican Party in Minnesota is speaking out about the racism and sexism she’s encountered from fellow party leaders.
Jennifer Carnahan writes “party leaders/executive committee members have made racist comments about me and to me calling me ‘dragon lady, a ch*nk, a stupid Asian not even born in America’ and other racial slurs.”
The complaints were made in a Facebook post (below) intended to be seen by a select group of people, but which were made public in a tweet by Crystal City Councilman Jeff Kolb.


Kolb called on Carnahan to name those responsible for the slurs. His tweet was reported on by City Pages  and the Star Tribune and then picked up nationally by Newsweek Saturday (June 23). According to City Pages, Carnahan has declined to name the people making the racist comments.
Newsweek reports that Carnahan was born in South Korea and raised by her adoptive parents in Minnesota.
Carnahan told the Star-Tribune she was only venting and emphasized the lessons she learned from her father.
“I’m trying to bring a positive voice to the party and show the importance of working together and being positive,” she said.
“My dad told me to be polite and respectful to others no matter what they say to me. That is why I love my dad so much.” she wrote on Facebook.
Republican Nick Zerwas responded to the news by tweeting “Any member of our leadership team that made those comments about our Chair should resign their position immediately.”
______________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment