Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Jeremy Lin may just have retired; passes torch to next generation of AAPI players in the NBA

Jeremy Lin's dream of a return to the NBA may have just ended.

After a roller-coaster nine-year career in the National Basketball League, Jeremy Lin has left his future up in the air. In a long, heartbreaking social media post, the Asian American b-baller has given up on his dream to return to the NBA.

After a year in the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) playing for the Beijing Ducks, Lin took a tremendous pay cut and assured glory to play in the G-League, the NBA's minor league, to prove to coaches and managers that he still had the passion and skill to play with a pro-team.

Although he played well for the Santa Cruz Warriors, associated with the Golden State Warriors, he waited and waited for a call from and NBA team. He watched other players that he actually outplayed in the G-League get called up ... and he continued to wait. He never got the call.

The date he had called his final deadline, May 16, came and went.

Finally, the realization hit him, and he issued the following post Tuesday night on his social media accounts: 

May 16th. In my mind was an imaginary circle around this date for an NBA callup. The final deadline.

After a year in the CBA where I overcame mental barriers from my past, I KNEW I was still an NBA player. Teams all asked if I still had the hunger, health and skill to hang in the NBA. They wanted to see me hoop in-person.

So I gave up a season overseas to go down to the G League - a move few vets dare to make. Ive always known I need to jump through extra hoops to prove I belong so this was par for the course. Im really proud of what I accomplished - I killed it in the G League and objectively showed it being a league leader in all the categories a PG should and shooting career-highs across the board.

For months, I watched as others got contracts, chances, opportunities. I told myself I just need ONE ten-day contract, one chance to get back on the floor and I would blow it out the water. After all that's how my entire career started - off one chance to prove myself.

For reasons I'll never fully know, that chance never materialized. But I proved Im better than ever and an NBA player. But like I've said before... dream big dreams, risk big heartache.

I know I'm blessed - I've had an NBA career beyond my wildest dreams. I've had the luxury of taking a year to chase a dream w/o worrying about paying bills. My family, support team, business partners all waited on me as I gave up being a go-to player in China to go back to the G League.

To the next generation of Asian American ballers - Man, I so wish I could have done more on the NBA court to break more barriers - especially now - but you guys got next. When you get your opportunity, do NOT hesitate. Don't worry whether anyone else thinks you belong there. The world never will. When you get your foot in the door, KICK THAT DOOR DOWN. And then bring others up with you.

I didn't get it done this season, but I have no regrets and hold my head high. As for what's next, I trust what God has in store for me. "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." 

Thanks to everyone whose rolled w me on this journey. I love you all.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment