Sunday, May 24, 2020

Sunday Read: 'Terrace House' star, 22-year old wrestler Hana Kimura dies

Hana Kimura's wrestling persona contrasted with the shyness she showed in 'Terrace House.'

Reality came crashing down Netflix's internationally popular  reality show Terrace House when one of the show's participants died at the age of 22.

The death of Hana Kimura, a Japanese pro wrestler and a star of Netflix’s Terrace House, was confirmed by Stardom Wrestling Friday, a promoter of women’s wrestling in Japan. No cause of death was given.


“Stardom fans, We are very sorry to report that our Hana Kimura has passed away,” the statement read. “Please be respectful and allow some time for things to process, and keep your thoughts and prayers with her family and friends. We appreciate your support during this difficult time.”
Terrace House, often compared to MTV's pioneering Real World, is in its fifth season. It follows six strangers, three men and three women, as they temporarily live together “looking for love while living under the same roof,” according to Netflix. It has gained a huge following in the US, especially among Asian American young adults because it gave a well-rounded picture of Asians beyond the old Western stereotypes.

Kimura was a fan favorite on Terrace House. Her shy personality contrasted with her signature pink hair and her persona in the wrestling ring.

Shortly before she died, Kimura issued a series of troubling social media posts.
The last post on Kimura’s Instagram account depicted her and a cat, with the ominous caption “goodbye.” She also tweeted an alarming message earlier on Friday: “Nearly 100 frank opinions every day. I couldn’t deny that I was hurt. I’m dead. Thank you for giving me a mother. It was a life I wanted to be loved. Thank you to everyone who supported me. I love it. I’m weak, I’m sorry. I don’t want to be a human anymore. It was a life I wanted to be loved.”
The show recently resumed airing episodes after production was shut down by the global pandemic, however, new episodes of Terrace House has been postponed, Netflix told the L.A. Times.
Upon hearing of her death, fans and industry figures spoke out against cyber-bullying and its impact on mental health.

Yukio Hatoyama, Japan’s former prime minister, also posted about Kimura’s death on Twitter, saying Japan should consider penalties for those who target individuals for severe online harassment.
"It absolutely breaks my heart how cruel people can be on social media," said Impact World Champion Tessa Blanchard. "It was an amazing honor to know Hana Kimura. She was an amazing girl with the kindest soul and immense passion and work ethic."
"I hope this serves as a reminder that interactions on social media can have a serious effect on the mental health of anyone, no matter who they are," wrote wrestling journalist Adam Pacitti.
US wrestler Su Yung said: "I will always love and miss you, my friend. You are my little sister."

No comments:

Post a Comment