Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Naomi Osaka upset in quest for U.S. Open title repeat

SCREEN CAPTURE / ESPN
Japan's Naomi Osaka was upset in herU.S. Open match Sunday (Sept. 1).
Naomi Osaka won't be repeating as U.S. Open champ this year after losing to giant-killer Belinda Bencic, 7-5, 6-4 Sunday (Sept. 1).
The loss will likely drop Osaka from the No. 1 ranking in the world, the second time she will  lose that title this year. Australia's Ashleigh Barty, 22, who held the top spot briefly then lost it to Osaka, will regain the No. 1 rank.
The Swiss player has now beaten Osaka three times this year after previous victories in Indian Wells and Madrid.


It will be Bencic's second appearance in the quarter-finals after also making the last eight in 2014 as a 17-year-old.
"I was so excited to come on the court, the challenge cannot be bigger - Naomi Osaka is a great player and won the US Open last year," said Bencic. "I had to be on top of my game and am really pleased with how I played.

After her match, Osaka, who plays for Japan but was raised in the US, was able to put her loss in perspective.


"For me, right now I have this feeling of sadness, but I also feel like I have learned so much during this tournament," said Osaka, who received wide praise for comforting 15-year-old American Coco Gauff, whom she had just defeated Friday. 
"I feel like the steps I've taken as a person have been much greater than I would imagine at this point, so I hope I can keep growing,' said Osaka. "I know if I keep working hard, then I'll have better results.
____________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment