Saturday, September 23, 2017

AAPI Athletes: Filipino Flash victorious in his return to the ring

SCREEN CAPTURE
Filipino American boxer Nonito Donaire lands a right hand on Hernandez.
"THE FILIPINO FLASH" took the first step on his comeback trail with a dominating victory over Ruben Garcia Hernandez in a 10-round fight in Texas' Alamadome.
Five-division world champion and Filipino boxing great Nonito 'The Filipino Flash' Donaire earned a unanimous decision over Mexico's Hernandez to become the new WBC Silver featherweight champion, Saturday evening (Sept. 23) in San Antonio, Texas.

The 34-year old Filipino fighter last saw action in November of 2016 when he lost his WBO World super bantamweight to Jessie Magdaleno in a stunning upset.

Saturday, Donaire didn't try to slug it out but kept his promise to rely on his speed and savvy to best the younger Garcia Hernandez. 

After ten rounds, the three judges were in agreement in scoring: 100-90, 97-93, 99-91.

"I feel like I’m getting back to the elite level in the way I’m fighting," Donaire told Sporting News. "It’s just more practicing of it and the conditioning of my body to react to certain situations in a fight without thinking about it.

"I boxed very well, which is something I haven't done in a long time. I moved my legs well and maintained it throughout the whole fight.

"I've always been an aggressive boxer but this time i used my jab and combinations. I had the urge to just brawl and I felt like I hurt him. But ultimately I did a great job showing versatility in my game."

Donaire said that after his win against Hernandez, he'll be gunning for the game's top featherweights. Donaire improves to 38-4 in his career. 
________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment