Thursday, October 22, 2015

Joining the Amy Vachal bandwagon on 'The Voice'

Amy Vachal, a frontrunner in  the current season of The Voice.
OK, OK ... I'm jumping on the Amy Vachal bandwagon.

The Filipina/American continues to wow the judges with her soft, easy-going style as she advances on The Voice singing competition.

All four of the judges were impressed with her and wanted her on their respective teams but she ended up picking Pharrel as her coach.

The Vassar grad was playing gigs in New York City when she auditioned for the popular reality show.

Her Nora Jones-like whispery, melancholy voice is so soothing, mentor Pharrel said that's what anyone who's had a bad day would want to hear when they got home. It'll be interesting how her style fares against the high-note acrobatics and screaming style employed by most singing contestants.

Amy is not the first Filipino/American to appear on the show but they have fallen by the wayside by some high-energy diva or good-looking guitar-player.



Her mother is Dierdra Garcia-Vachal, who is the younger sister of former Cebu Governor and now 3rd District Representative Gwendolyn Garcia.

In an interview with NBC, the 26-year old Amy said:
"Yes. I'm half-Filipino. It's crazy that there has been such a huge response and I have been overwhelmed by it. My mom was born and raised there. I've only been there three times in my entire life. The most recent was last fall and I went to go visit family. It happened to be right after this crazy hurricane hit the area where my mom is from and we weren't sure if there was going to be a runway. We ended up going and we just jumped right into the relief efforts. Ever since that I've felt a special connection to the Filipino culture. I'm so grateful to be considered one of their own even though I'm a 'hapa' baby."
After the Battle round, during which she sings the same song with another contestant, Adam Levine, the host and one of the mentors quipped, "Cue the best singer we've ever had on The Voice, ... and also the prettiest" in referencing Amy after he battle with a country singing duo last Tuesday (Oct. 20). 

And nobody would argue with him.


No comments:

Post a Comment