Saturday, August 1, 2026

UPDATED: Alexandra Eala advances to the final where she faces Korean American Jessica Pegula



SCREEN CAPTURE / DIOKNO
The Philippines' Alexandra Eala makes it to the DC Open finals by besting Naomi Osaka.


UPDATED: 8/1/2026 8 p.m. to includ more player reaction.
Filipina Alexandra Eala stuns Naomi Osaka at DC Open, setting up an historic all-Asian heritage final against Korean American Jessica Pegula.
Filipina tennis phenom Alex Eala pulled off a massive shocker at the Mubadala DC Open, dominating four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2. 
The historic victory marks a monumental step for Asian representation in sports, sending the 21-year-old left-hander into her very first WTA 500-level final.
FYI:  Watch this must-watch battle of Asian heritage live tomorrow at 2:30 PM ET / 11:30 AM PT exclusively on the Tennis Channel, with streaming available via the Tennis Channel App and Fubo. International fans in the Philippines can watch on Premier Sports 2 at 2:30 AM PHT on Monday morning, while viewers in the UK can stream via Sky Sports.
In her on-court interview after her match, Eala said: “I’m still locked in... Like, I don’t think it’s over yet. 😂 Super happy. I think I played really well. Such a meaningful match against a great player. Really happy to share the court with Naomi.
“It’s such an honor to share the court with her... I could never count her out. I had to be so locked in. I made it a point to be so locked in which is why until now I’m still in that mode of competition. I need time to let it sink in."
Osaka, ever the class act and a conscious leader for the next generation, later highlighted the incredible depth and competitive hunger surging through the women's tour, observing, "Everybody's fighting for their lives out there and everybody wants it. The depth right now in women's tennis is crazy good."
Eala's sensational giant-killing spree in Washington, D.C. — which also included a masterclass upset over second-seeded Elina Svitolina — sets the stage for an unforgettable championship clash. 
"Going into this tournament, I looked at the list, and it was jam-packed," Eala said. "It was big player after big player after big player. So to be in the final really means a lot to me."
SCREEN CAPTURE / DIOKNO
Naomi Osaka congratulates Alexandra Eala for her win.

Tomorrow, Sunday, August 2, she will face top-seeded Korean American star Jessica Pegula, who locked down her own finals ticket earlier in the day by defeating Diana Shnaider 7-5, 6-4.
The high-stakes final serves as a highly anticipated rematch of their 2025 Miami Open battle, where Pegula halted Eala's initial breakout run and Eala Mania was in its early stages. 
“I think I would say if I compare myself now to then, I’m more well-rounded,” Eala said in an interview with Tennis Channel. “I think I’m physically a little better. I’ve improved on a couple of my strokes. I would say my forehand and serve have also improved quite a bit.”

A year ago, a rookie Eala forced Pegula into a highly-contested three sets. Let's see what she has learned since then.
EDITOR'S NOTE: For additional commentary, news, views and chismis from an AANHPI perspective, follow me on Threads, on X, BlueSky or at the blog Views From the Edge. If you find this perspective interesting, please repost.

No comments:

Post a Comment