Monday, August 3, 2026

Alex Eala makes history with her first WTA Title in Washington D.C.

SCREEN CAPTURE / DIOKNO
Alexandra Eala hoists the winners trophy at the Mbadala D.C. Open.

Call her the Comeback Queen. Alexandra Eala made history for the Philippines on Monday, August 3, pulling off an unforgettable 4-6, 6-4, 6-0 comeback victory against world No. 3 and tournament top seed Jessica Pegula.

With the win at the Mubadala DC Open, the 21-year-old tennis sensation secured her first career WTA singles title, becoming the first player from the Philippines ever to wear a WTA Tour-level singles crown.

An absolute gauntlet of Top 10 elite

What makes Eala's run in Washington, D.C., truly legendary wasn't just how she finished, but the absolute path of destruction she left behind her. Before even stepping onto Stadium Court for the final, Eala dismantled a gauntlet of tennis royalty:
Round 1: Battled past Olympic gold medalist and world elite Qinwen Zheng in a fierce 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 thriller. 
Round 2: Eliminated defending champion and 7th-seed Leylah Fernandez 6-2, 7-6 (1) with a clutch second-set tiebreak performance. 
Quarterfinals: Stunned world No. 10 Elina Svitolina 6-3, 6-4. 
Semifinals: Dispatched four-time Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka 6-4, 6-2. Reflecting on the moment, Eala shared, "I think I played really well and, of course, it's such a meaningful match against a great player. So really happy to share the court with Naomi."

Navigating the storm

The historic final against Pegula was anything but straightforward. Heavy D.C. thunderstorms forced a suspension of play on Sunday evening, leaving Eala in a deep hole. Pegula had captured the first set 6-4 and held a 2-1 advantage in the second set.

When the players returned at noon on Monday, the uphill battle initially grew steeper, with Eala finding herself trailing 4-3 in the second set.

What happened next was a breathtaking display of Pinoy grit. Showing the fierce baseline hitting and nifty returns that have characterized her rapid ascent, Eala locked in. She broke Pegula back, served out the second set, and completely dictated the final frame.

In total, Eala rattled off nine consecutive games to close out the match, rendering one of the world's best baseliners completely helpless. In an astonishing 6-0 third-set bagel, Eala dropped a mere eight points to seal the WTA 500 championship trophy.

SCREEN CAPTURE / DIOKNO
After winning the final point, Alexandra Eala slumped to the ground recognizing her achievement.

Eala won't have much time to savor her historic win. She will play next at the National Bank Open in Toronto, Canada, with her opening match scheduled for 8 A.M. tomorrow, August 4. 

The victory represents her seventh win against a top-10 opponent this season and catapults Eala from No. 28 directly into the WTA Top 20. 

Thanking the fans

Ever the class act, Pegula turned to Eala after receiving the runner-up trophy:

“I wanna congratulate Alex on an amazing week and tournament. I don’t know how much more I can say. But you’re an amazing player. Just to see how far you’ve come over the last couple years when we first played, to see the amazing fans that follow you every place you go, it’s not fun to play against  but I really appreciate the really fun atmosphere. I think it’s amazing. Congrats. All the best to you and your team and your coach.”

Pegula, a Korean American, knew the impact of Eala Mania that often made center court feel like Eala's home court.

"This is the best Monday final crowd I've seen," Pegula said while accepting the trophy for runner-up, "...To all the Filipino fans that came out, and have supported (crowd cheered). You guys are so helping to grow tennis around the world, and I appreciate that. Being a female athlete, being in tennis, we love to see that growth."


After acknowledging Pegula, Eala turned to fans who stuck around for the trophy presentation:

"To all my supporters, thank you guys...especially the Filipino community here in DC, and back home, and wherever you are around the world. I really feel all the love...Before the final yesterday, I got so many messages. Sweet messages from my family and from my friends who are on tour or wherever else in the world, and I thought to myself, 'I feel so much love.'"
With a passionate Filipino community packing the Washington stands to roar her to victory, Eala has proven that her time on the world stage isn't just arriving — it's already here.
EDITOR'S NOTE: For additional commentary, news, views and chismis from an AANHPI perspective, follow me on Threads, on X, BlueSky or at the blog Views From the Edge. If you find this perspective interesting, please repost.

No comments:

Post a Comment