Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Filipino American scientist named Miss New York




Brains and beauty is a tough combination to beat.

Californian Marizza Delgado Hit the big time in New York City. She was crowned Miss New York USA on 30 June 2024 and will represent New York at the Miss USA 2024 pageant in Hollywood, California.

The Filipino American pageant winner balances a modeling career with her day job as a scientist in high technology industry.. She worked as a data scientist for Etsy for two years and recently started working in a similar capacity for Rent the Runway. She is also a mentor at Girls Who 
Code, an organization that supports the entry of college students into careers in tech.

"My mother is from Pampanga, my dad is from Manila, and they immigrated to San Jose, California, where I was born and raised," says the 24-year old Delgado.

The new Miss New York  has a Bachelor’s degree in Computer and Information Technology Administration and Management from the University of California at Santa Cruz and is pursuing a Master of Science in Analytics from Georgia Institute of Technology.

Some fun facts about Marizza:
  • For the past 6 years, she’s been modelling professionally and has been featured in publications such as Vogue, Cosmopolitan, Marie Claire, Seventeen Magazine, while also walking for New York Fashion Week. She has also modelled for the likes of L’OrĂ©al, H&M, The North Face, and more.
  • A seasoned pageant queen, Marizza was crowned 3rd runner-up at Miss New York USA 2022!
  • She’s been vegan for the past 4.5 years! She loves to “vegan-ize” Filipino dishes like lechon kawali, sinigang, and adobo.
"I just started as a Data Scientist for Etsy on their Product Analytics team, and I'm a huge advocate for women representation in STEM," says Delgado. "I'm really fortunate to be working for such a socially, economically, and environmentally responsible company for my first job out of college," 

"Although modeling has taken a backseat, I try to balance both of my hustles by taking PTO (Paid Time Off) whenever I'm shooting a campaign. Props to all the multi-faceted Women in Tech who balance their side hustles with their full-time hustle!

"My ultimate goals as a model is to shoot a huge Sephora campaign, be featured on Times Square, and to represent Filipina beauty in the industry," she says. "If I left the industry with more inclusiveness and diversity, then I've left my legacy."

EDITOR'S NOTE: For additional commentary, news and views from an AANHPI perspective, follow me on Threads, on or at the blog Views From the Edge.




No comments:

Post a Comment