Monday, July 29, 2024

2024 Paris Olympics: Asian American swimmer wins gold in 100m butterfly

SCREEN CAPTURE
Chinese American Torri Huske, left, and Gretchen Walsh finished 1 and 2 in the 100m butterfly.


In the 2021 Tokyo Olympics, Torri Huske missed out in earning a swimming medal by one-tenth of a second. This year Huske edged out fellow American Gretchen Walsh to win the women’s 100-meter butterfly at the 2024 Paris Olympics by a margin of 0.04 seconds.

Huske, seeded second, beat Walsh, the event’s world record holder Sunday, with a time of 55.59, to Walsh’s 55.63.

“You never really know for sure and I first saw the light by the block and seeing that it was just very surreal, I didn’t even know how to process it,” Huske said. “It’s just very overwhelming when you’ve been dreaming of this moment for so long.”
FYI: Follow all the AANHPI athletes at the Paris Olympics.
Describing her race, the Chinese American continued: “I like to go out in the first 50 and see how fast I can go ... I’m not trying to switch it or trying necessarily to go fast, but I’m just not restraining myself at all. I’m just going, and the second half, I just kind of see what I have left.”

What she had left , apparently, was plenty enough. She was in third place at the 50-m turn before adrenalin kicked in the last 50 meters and as she went faster, Walsh slowed down. Huske earned  Team USA’s first individual gold medal at the 2024 Games.

It is Huske's second medal in the Paris Games. On Saturday, she and Walsh were part of the team that earned a silver in the 4x100 freestyle relay losing out to the Australian swimmers.

Both Huske and Walsh could potentially win more medals. Both of them will be racing in the 100-meter freestyle with preliminaries beginning on Tuesday. They are also expected to team up again in the women’s 4x100-meter medley relay.

EDITOR'S NOTE: For additional commentary, news and views from an AANHPI perspective, follow me on Threads, on or at the blog Views From the Edge

No comments:

Post a Comment