Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Rose Zhang debut makes history by winning her first professional golf tournament

Rose Zhang just won her first pro tourney but she's worried about her exams at Stanford.

Rose Zhang just turned pro and on Sunday she became the first player to win an LPGA tournament in her professional debut in 72 years. 

No one was surprised to see the former Stanford star, Rose Zhang, holding the Mizuho Americas Open trophy on Sunday at Liberty National Golf Club. But few, even Zhang herself, expected success to come this early.

"Answer is no," Zhang said when asked if she expected to win in her pro debut. "I honestly didn't even expect to make the cut and the reason why I say this is because I don't think about my expectations a lot. I think about playing the golf course. I think about trying to shoot the best score that I can.

"Obviously, I have frustrations, disappointments with my game, but I never once think about where I finish, where I should finish, et cetera. The expectation for me winning did not even cross my mind. I was just playing my game. I was having a good time out there. This is the game that I love, and I'm so thankful to be a professional doing it now."

"I want to keep on doing better and better," said Zhang. "So we'll be seeing what I do in the future. As of now, I'm just soaking it all in."

At 20-years old, Zhang already has a pretty good resume: Twelve wins at Stanford University, two national championships, an Augusta National Women's Amateur title, a US Girls' Junior win, and a U.S. Women's Amateur victory are great forecasters for LPGA Tour success. 

As she drinks in the moment, the Stanford student will be celebrating this momentous occasion, but Zhang also has something else on her mind that might end up being a little more stressful than winning her first pro event…final exams.

"I have no idea what I'm going to do with that. I've got an essay due, pset due for CS," she said. "We'll figure that out. I'm also moving on the 13th, so I have a busy week ahead of me, and that's not golf related."


EDITOR'S NOTE: For additional commentary, news and views from an AANHPI perspective, follow @DioknoEd on Twitter or at his blog Views From the Edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment