Saturday, December 10, 2022

Minnesota Vikings player shows off his Filipino American heritage

FACEBOOK
Vikings safety Camryn Bynum is proud of his Filipino roots.


I have to say upfront that I'm a die-hard Niners fan, but that won't keep me from rooting for the Minnesota Vikings, or, more specifically, Vikings safety Camryn Bynum.

Second-year man Bynum, 24,  is not only from my alma mater, Cal, but he's also a proud Filipino American and he's not bashful about showing it.

Last weekend after Bynum’s interception in the closing seconds helped his team secure a 27-22 victory over the New York Jets on Oct. 5, he ran onto the field waving the Philippines flag. Later, he did interviews and took reporters’ questions with the Philippines flag prominently draped over his shoulders.


“Representation,” Bynum told reporters after the game, according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “Just being able to put my flag on the map and hopefully get some more eyes to see what we’re doing in the Philippines to raise money there.”

During last week's game, Bynum wore customized cleats representing Keys To Freedom Ministries, which aids victims of the yearly typhoons hat ravage the Philippines, as part of the NFL’s My Cause My Cleats campaign that allows players to promote charitable causes and organizations through their in-game footwear.

“I’m half Filipino, so I rep my roots are heavy,” Bynum said. “We do a lot of work in the Philippines trying to raise awareness.”

A year ago, when the Vikings visited the Niners at Levi Stadium, Bynum had a 200-strong cheering section full of family and friends. His mother is a third-generation Filipino American from the Bay Area, which has one of the largest community of Filipino Americans in the US.

When the Vikings play the Detroit Lions this Sunday, Oct. 11, there's no doubt who I'll be rooting for.

EDITOR'S NOTE: For additional commentary, news and views from an AANHPI perspective, follow @DioknoEd on Twitter.



No comments:

Post a Comment