Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Introducing Gabriella Sarmiento Wilson, AKA H.E.R.

ABC
Filipino American Gabriella Sarmiento Wilson, AKA H.E.R., in Beauty and the Beast special

Last week on ABC's Good Morning America, host Michael Strahan introduced Gabriella Sarmiento Wilson, also known as R&B singer H.E.R.

“I’ve been re-finding my voice. Now I’m not wearing glasses. I can’t be acting and wearing glasses, so I think it’s time for people to really get to know the person behind H.E.R.,” the Grammy award-winning singer told Strahan on Dec. 7.

“H.E.R. is me, but at the same time it’s a new chapter of my life, and I think I’m really finding that connection and I’m allowing people to see under the layers a little bit.”

When RCA records sent out H.E.R.'s first album in 2016, the press package lacked any information about the artist. Everything would be revealed in time, the package said. Fittingly, that's what the name H.E.R. stands for: "Having Everything Revealed." She usually performed behind tinted glasses, which became one of her trademarks.

Six years later, most everything about the 5-time Grammy winner and Oscar-winner, has been revealed, she apparently is ready to shed the air of mystery.

Wilson was appearing on the morning show to promote her upcoming performance as Belle in the 30th Anniversary live-action special of Beauty and the Beast.

“I never thought I could be a Disney princess,” the 25-year old Filipino/Black singer said of the project, which airs on ABC Dec. 15. “Of course every little girl wants to be a Disney princess, but I’ve never seen one that looks like me — so I get to be that to little girls now.”

“And that’s such a huge deal on top of being a producer on Beauty and the Beast, which is crazy,” she continued. “I got to do a lot of the new arrangements and work with Alan Menken, the original arranger and producer. It’s been an amazing experience just learning so much about myself, and it’s been a lot of fun honestly.”

In an interview with People, she talked about portraying the main character Belle.

"[My vision] was to of course stay true to the character. But like I said, there's a strength in her that I wanted to bring out. I think me being Belle alone and looking the way that I do and coming from a Filipino and Black background was enough because it's a different face, it's a different representation for young girls to see."

She added, "They even made my father Filipino and that's rare. I don't think I've ever seen anything on this level, where Filipinos were being recognized and it's very special. I did a really cool nod on my costume to my Filipino heritage, so I'm excited for people to see that. But just me being me alone and being in that position is a lot, so I'm proud of that."

ABC
Gabriella Wilson as Belle, visits her father Maurice, played by Jon Jon Briones.

The conversation then pivoted to the Oscar winner and five-time Grammy winner being the first Black and Filipina woman to take on the part of Belle.

“I never thought I could be a Disney princess,” she said of the project, which airs on ABC Dec. 15. “Of course every little girl wants to be a Disney princess, but I’ve never seen one that looks like me — so I get to be that to little girls now.”

“And that’s such a huge deal on top of being a producer on Beauty and the Beast, which is crazy,” she continued. “I got to do a lot of the new arrangements and work with Alan Menken, the original arranger and producer. It’s been an amazing experience just learning so much about myself, and it’s been a lot of fun honestly.”

Wilson will be one of several high-profile stars appearing in the live-action project. Josh Groban will play the Beast, while Shania Twain (Mrs. Potts), Martin Short (Lumiere), Joshua Henry (Gaston), David Alan Grier (Cogsworth) and Rita Moreno (narration) and Jon Jon Briones (Belle's father) will round out the cast.

ABC's 2-hour special, Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration, will air on Dec. 15 at 8 p.m. ET. The following day, the special can be streamed on Disney+.

EDITOR'S NOTE: For additional commentary, news and views from an AANHPI perspective, follow @DioknoEd on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment