Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Teen golfer is first Filipino to win Women's U.S. Open

Yuka Saso


Nineteen-year old Yuka Saso won the U.S. Women's Open Sunday is the first Filipino golfer to win that tourney.

A loud cheer greeted Saso's historic victory at the Olympic Club Golf Course, which straddles San Francisco and Daly City, two cities with huge populations of Filipinos and Filipino Americans.

"I was just glad and thankful that I was here and able to play in this tournament," said Saso, who overcame back-to-back double bogeys early in the final round to make the playoff.

“I don’t know what’s happening in the Philippines right now, but I’m just thankful that there’s so many people in the Philippines cheering for me,” she said. “I don’t know how to thank them. They gave me so much energy.”

Saso, who holds dual citizenship for the Philippines and Japan, represented the Philippines. She beat Japan's Nasa Hataoka in a three-hole playoff after the pair finished the final round tied for the lead at 4-under.

With a purse of $5.5 million, including $1 million for the winner, it is the world's richest tournament for women.

"To all my friends and fans back in the Philippines and Japan, I'm really thankful. I hope I can keep this going," she said.

Saso is expected to play for the Philippines at this summer's Tokyo Olympics. She won two gold medals for the country at the 2018 Asian Games, one in the individual event and another in the team event.

No comments:

Post a Comment