Monday, May 6, 2019

Andrew Janz resets sights from Congress to Fresno Mayor

Andrew Janz during his 2018 Congressional campaign.

Politics is firmly in the blood of Andrew Janz, the Thai American who launched a serious challenge to one of Donald Trump's stanchest defenders in Congress.

Though he lost to incumbent Rep. Devin Nunes in the 2018 midterm elections, Janz did so much better than expected everyone -- his supporters and opponent -- thought he would try again in 2020.


Instead, the Fresno County violent crimes prosecutor has decided to run for Mayor of Fresno. 
“Time has shown that (incumbent Mayor Lee Brand) just doesn’t have what it takes to manage a city of this size. And I will admit, unlike him, I’m not a career politician,” Janz said in an interview with the Fresno Bee.

 “I’m not running for city manager. … The job of the mayor is to be the representative of the city – the person who speaks for and acts on behalf of the people that live here. And during my time running for Congress, I met thousands of people … and I know and I understand the needs of the people that live here.”

In response, Brand. a Republican, said, “I welcome the opportunity to have voters compare my well-earned experience and record of accomplishment, highlighted by creating over 5,000 good-paying jobs with benefits, to his complete lack of experience and a track record that consists of saying ‘I’m not Devin Nunes.’

Since his six-point loss to Nunes, Janz launched the Voter Protection Project to work nationwide combating voter suppression and targeting “bad actors” who are on the wrong side of the issue.

Janz's decision to run for mayor leaves the Democrats scrambling to find an opponent against the controversial and politically vulnerable Nunes.
_____________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment