Thursday, October 4, 2018

Addison Russell suspended 40 games for domestic abuse

After he serves his 40-game suspension, Addison Russell's future with the Cubs is uncertain

WEDNESDAY MORNING, Major League Baseball announced that Chicago Cubs shortstop Addison Russell has accepted a 40-game suspension without pay for violating MLB's Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy.

Russell's suspension is retroactive to Sept. 21. Russell has agreed not to appeal the discipline.


Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred issued the following statement regarding the suspension
"My office has completed its investigation into the allegations that Addison Russell violated Major League Baseball's Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy. Having reviewed all of the available evidence, I have concluded that Mr. Russell violated the Policy and should be subject to discipline in the form of an unpaid suspension that will cover 40 games."
On Sept. 19, Russell's ex-wife, Melisa Reidy-Russell, a Filipina American, detailed the alleged domestic abuse in a long post on her personal blog where she wrote: 
"The first time I was physically mistreated by my spouse, I was in shock. I couldn't wrap my head around what just happened ... Why did he get so angry? What did I do for him to want to put his hands on me?" the author wrote. "Of course I forgave him and assumed it would never happen again. I just thought he had let his emotions get the best of him, he loves me and he's sorry.
SCREEN CAPTURE / WGN-TV
Melisa Reidy Russell .was interviewed on television Wednesday.

Reidy Russell continued:
"After he would calm down from his angry spells, I’d always get the most sincere apologies, making me believe how sorry he was & he’s working on bettering himself. One of his favorite excuses was that he was “young” & he’s still learning how to live right, he basically raised himself, he didn’t have nurturing parents like I did & he didn’t know how to love the way I did. But, somehow he could ALWAYS find a way to make me feel like it happened because of me, or because I wasn’t listening to him. It was ALWAYS my fault – You don’t realize it, but its a sick mind game that you get sucked into – All your source of happiness somehow is controlled by that one person, depending on how they decide to treat you on a daily basis. Feeling the need of affirmation from him became the main source of how I felt happiness. Always trying to please him to show him I was good enough, strong enough, worthy enough… it consumed me & before I realized it, I was so far gone from the person I used to be."
Through his attorney, Filipino American ballplayer Russell released a statement Wednesday afternoon saying: “After gaining a full understanding of the situation I have concluded it’s in the best interest of my family to accept MLB’s proposed resolution of this matter. I wish my ex-wife well and hope we can live in peace for the benefit of our child.”

After the suspension, it is uncertain whether or not the All-Star shortstop will return to the Cubs, which ended its season when it lost its one-game wild card playoff with the Colorado Rockies, Tuesday.
______________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment