Monday, October 7, 2024

Olivia Rodrigo: I"Proud Pinoy ako" ('m a proud Pinoy).

INSTAGRAM
For her encore, Olivia Rodrigo donned a "Pinoy Pride" t-shirt.

Pop princess Olivia Rodrigo's October 5 concert in Manila felt like a homecoming for the Filipino American.

It was the first time 21-year old Rodrigo, born in California, visited her grandfather's homeland. Her concert, part of her Guts World Tour, drew 55,000 fans to the Philippine Arena, the largest audience she has ever had.


She came out on stage to the roar of her fans and said, "It's such an honor to be here tonight, it's my first time here in the Philippines. We're gonna have so much fun. Here's what I want, I want everyone up in their seats, I want you to jump, I want you to scream, and I want you to sing on the top of your lungs," Rodrigo said.

Throughout her concert she made certain that everyone knew of ehr Filipino heritage. "I want to say,' proud Pinoy ako!'" (I'm a proud Pinoy) and the audience erupted in cheers. "My Tagalog isn't that good, but I'm working on it," she added. 

At one point, she donned a sash from a fan that read "Miss So Filipina," countering her hit "so american." While introducing that particular song," she said: "Usually, at this point of the show this is where I announce the song 'so american' but tonight with you, guys, I feel like I'm so Filipino."



As she sat on a crescent moon suspended from the ceiling, she got emotional as she  related  about how her Manila show was so special for her because it was her first visit to the Philippines and how her fans embraced her with so much love.

During her encore performance, she wore a cut-off t-shirt imprinted with "Pinoy Pride."

The FilAm artist sang the hit songs from her two aaward-winning lbums "Sour" and "Guts." 
FYI: For those who missed the show, Olivia's "GUTS World Tour" will start streaming its concert film on Netflix on October 29

About 700,000 fans lined up for tickets for the singler's concert but only 55,000 won the lottery. Rodrigo made her Manila show even more special by selling all tickets for about $26. All the proceedds went to the nonprofit Fund 4 Good, " a global initiative committed to building an equitable and just future for all women, girls and people seeking reproductive health freedom."

FACEBOOK
Filipino American star Olivia Rodrigo visited JHPiego Philippines offices were recipients of the proceeds from her Oct. 5 concert in Manila.

In Manila, all proceeds from the ticket sales was awarded to JHpiego, the local chapter of the National Network of Abortion Funds Jhpiego, which provides reproductive health care access, HIV/ AIDS and infectious disease prevention, education, and more.

“I’m SO stoked that all the net ticket sales from last night could be donated to @jhpiego through my fund 4 good,” she posted on Instagram.. “I got to visit the organization while I was in Manila and was so impressed by the work they are doing providing healthcare to women and girls in the Philippines.”

Rodrigo continued: “It was the most special show and the most meaningful trip. to say I’m grateful doesn’t even cut it! Mahal kita.”

EDITOR'S NOTE: For additional commentary, news and views from an AANHPI perspective, follow me on Threads, on or at the blog Views From the Edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment