Friday, August 4, 2023

Olivia Rodrigo's new song debuts in No. 1 spot



Olivia Rodrigo's fans were anticipating the release of the Filipino American songwriter's newest single for months. So when "Vampire" debuted in early July, it zoomed to the top of the Billboard charts.

For Rodrigo, debuting a song in the No. 1 spot is nothing new. In 2021, both "Drivers License" and Good 4 U" topped the charts when they were launched. Billboard reports that 20-year old singer/songwriter is the first artist ever to debut the lead singles from two career-opening albums at No. 1 on the Hot 100.

"Vampire" is the lead single of Rodrigo's eagerly awaited second album Guts, which is slated for a Sept. 8 release.

        RELATED: Olivia Rodrigo on being a role model

On a July 15 Instagram posting, the Filipino American shared a photo of the Billboard Hot 100 chart, with “Vampire” right at No. 1. Her post includes the caption, “AHHHHH IM SO EXCITED AB THIS!!! thank you x1000 to everyone who bought and streamed vampire I love you!!!! and thank u to my amazing team!!!! ahhhh!!!!”

“We always said that it was kind of our version of a rock opera," she recently told Billboard. "I think as the album was coming together, we were coming up with a bunch of songs that we really liked, but this one always stuck out to me as something that I felt like was honoring my singer-songwriter roots, but felt like an evolution – in a good way that wasn’t too stark. So, I really liked it for that, and it was always one of my favorites.

“I wrote it on the piano, the original version, in December of last year, and I really liked it,” Rodrigo added. “I remember writing it and feeling like something special was there. And I took it to my producer Dan, and we finished it up together and rewrote some things and produced it. It was quite a long production — it’s pretty lush, so it took us a while. But I’m really happy with the way it came out.”

On a separate Instagram post, the pop star included a video of her typing the son titles of the 12 tracks in "Guts." Other tracks include "all american bitch," "bad idea right?", "lacy," "ballad of a homeschooled girl, "making the bed, "logical, "get him back," "love is embarrassing," "the grudge," "pretty isn’t pretty," and "teenage dream."

EDITOR'S NOTE: For additional commentary, news and views from an AANHPI perspective, follow me at Threads.net/eduardodiok@DioknoEd on Twitter or at the  blog Views From the Edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment