Saturday, February 18, 2023

Filipino American football player holds this year's NFL rushing title

Raider Josh Jacobs is one of the few Asian Americans playing in the National Football League.

Las Vegas Raiders' halfback Josh Jacobs rushed for only 45 yards in the last game of the season but that was enough to win the National Football League's rushing crown this year. The Filipino American capped off the season with a total of 1,653 yards.

Jacobs said it was the hardest game he's had to play in because his mind was on the health of his father who was recovering from a heart attack and surgery.

The week prior to the last game, Jacobs was at the side of his father in a hospital in Tulsa, Oklahoma. His father, Marty, had to undergo emergency heart surgery the Wednesday before the game after Jacob's 6-year old son called 911 when his grandfather was in pain.

“For me, family is always before anything, especially when you know the severity of what is going on,” Jacobs told reporters following a 31-13 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. 

“My dad had woken up and told me he wanted me to play, so that’s why I’m here.”

Jacobs booked a flight back to Las Vegas on Friday night and had little bit of sleep before the Saturday game against Chiefs, who eventually went all the way to win the Super Bowl.

“This is probably the hardest game I’ve ever played, not in the sense of physical or anything like that – just mentally, like trying to stay in it,” Jacobs said. “Being on the sideline and having too much time to think, think about what’s going on and think about being the rock of your family. It’s never easy when your rock is going through it, so it’s been an interesting time for me.”

Jacobs is a member of a small group of Filipino Americans in the NFL, a privilege he doesn't take lightly. Jacobs and Seattle Seahawks kicker Jason Myers were the only Filipino American representatives at this year's Pro Bowl that was played Feb. 5.

"It's definitely big, man," Jacobs said at the Pro Bowl, according to TFC News reporter
Steve Angeles. "I mean, just because my grandma growing up and my dad kept us along with the culture out there and let us understand where we come from and things like that. So with not a lot of us in professional sports and things like that, it's good to be a prominent advocate for who we are and what we believe in, so that's dope."

Jacobs' rise to NFL stardom has is a rags-to-riches story, battling homelessness as a youth with his Filipino American father Marty.

Despite the struggles, the Oklahoma native landed a scholarship at college football powerhouse Alabama. After winning a national college scholarship, he was drafted in the first round by the then-Oakland Raiders in 2019, winning Rookie of the Year.

Because of his family's past hardships, he has an affinity with those who are struggling.

"I think it's very important just because there's a lot of guys where I come from that I see do good and I never see them come back. Growing up, I told myself, if I see a chance to be on a certain platform and touch and affect people's lives, that's what I'm going to do so I kind of do it," he said.

This offseason, Jacobs said he plans to visit with his grandmother's family in the Philippines.

"I’m just meeting with my family so I’m gonna go out there for like two weeks and go to Angeles City and be with my family so it’s cool," he said.


He'll also have time to ponder his future. He's a free agent and teams will be vying for the Filipino American. If the Raiders don't meet Jacob's terms, he'll try the open market. The 2023 NFL Year and Free Agency period begins at 4 p.m. EDT on March 15.

But Jacobs sounds like he'd like to stay with Las Vegas, especially if the Raiders sign quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who will also be a free agent after playing years with the Green Bay Packers.

Jacobs spoke with Stacking The Box, the Raiders' fan blog, and noted that he’d love Rodgers to come to Vegas and take the team to the next level.

“I definitely want to play with Aaron Rodgers,” Jacobs said. “He’s one of the top guys to ever do it. Really he’s one of the top guys left in the league. Just to be able to be around a guy who’s played a lot of football at a high level and be able to pick his brain on a day-to-day basis and be able to witness how he does his football.”

Jacobs told CBS Sports that if Rodgers came to Vegas, it would change how he views his own future as a free agent.

"I ain't gonna lie, I feel like that (would) change a lot of dynamics for me," Jacobs told CBS. "Especially with just like the contract talks and everything. I feel like when you bring certain guys in the building, you're willing to do things a little differently. It definitely would be a great day."

EDITOR'S NOTE: For additional commentary, news and views from an AANHPI perspective, follow @DioknoEd on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment