Thursday, June 23, 2022

Asian American legislator ends her bid for Massachusetts governor

Massachusetts sta teSenator Sonia Chang-Diaz


Massachusetts' first Asian American candidate for governor, Sonia Chang-Diaz, announced today she is ending her campaign.

"One year ago today, I announced my run for Governor. And since, I’ve never shied away from being honest," she posted on social media. "I've looked at the numbers, & there is no good-faith path I can lead my supporters on to win the Governor's office. "But there is still a path to victory for our movement," wrote the Democrat.

Chang-Díaz is the first Latina and first Asian American elected to the Massachusetts State Senate — and she’s spent her career fighting for people whose voices usually aren’t heard by lawmakers.

The former teacher's family instilled in her the values of justice and equity, and taught her the importance of taking action.

Her mother was a White social worker who helped women and children on the margins of society. Her father, Franklin Chang-Díaz, was the grandson of Chinese refugees. He arrived in the US with $50 in his pocket, but with the help of committed educators — "teachers, lunch ladies and librarians — made a huge difference in the trajectory of his life," and eventually becoming an astronaut.

"I never forgot that," said Sonia Chang-Diaz, "and I wanted to pay that debt forward."

Chang-Díaz also announced Thursday that while her name will remain on the ballot in the gubernatorial race, she will direct her attention "to elect down-ballot candidates" who share her progressive values.

“The reality is, this race has always been about more than just me. It’s been about all of us coming together and building a movement for courage and urgency in this state,” Chang-Díaz said in a statement.

“I am going to be spending my time campaigning and marshaling my supporters and the movement we’ve built for these courage Democrats down ballot, candidates who walk the walk when it comes to our values,” she said. “I have no doubt that they will fight to put courage over politics in our state, and I am going to be using my energy to help put them into office.”

By dropping out of the governor's race, it gives a clear path for Attorney General Maura Healey to win the Democratic nomination for governor in the state's September Primary.

Healey issued a statement following Chang-Diaz's announcement.

"I'm deeply grateful to Senator Sonia Chang-Díaz for her many years of service to Massachusetts and her inspired leadership during this campaign," Healey said. "The legacy of her campaign will live on through the young girls who finally saw themselves represented in a candidate for the highest office in the state. I look forward to continuing to partner with Senator Chang-Díaz to bring people together and make Massachusetts work for all of our families."


EDITOR'S NOTE: For additional commentary, news and views from an AANHPI perspective, follow @DioknoEd on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment