Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Hawaii teenager wins Miss Teen USA crown

MISS TEEN USA
Hawaii's Ki'ilani Arruda could barely stand after winning the beauty crown.

A Filipino American teenager, Ki‘ilani Arruda of Kapa‘a, Kauai, was crowned the new Miss Teen USA over the weekend.


The Kauai teen was named 2020 Miss Teen USA, crowned by Kaliegh Garris, Miss Teen USA 2019, on Saturday night (Nov. 7) at Graceland in Memphis, Tennessee after months of delays due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Ki’ilani is the second candidate with Filipino roots to win the crown after the Miss Teen USA 1998 victory of actress Vanessa Minillo-Lachey, who represented South Carolina. Actress Kelly Hu of Hawaii in 1985 was the first Hawaii contestant to win the teen title. 

“I am so excited to be your new Miss Teen USA,” said Ki'ilani. “I still can’t believe it. Every single one of the girls up there with me would have been an amazing winner, and I am so excited it was me. I am so proud to represent Hawaii and my home island.”

“I plan to use this platform to help advocate for those with autism, like my little brother," said Ki'ilanii. "This is a dream come true for me, and I think you could see from my reaction that I truly couldn’t believe it,” she continued.

MISS TEEN USA
Ki'ilani Arruda, 2020 Miss Teen USA, hails from Kauai, Hawaii.


In a virtual press conference after the competition, Ki’ilani revealed that Filipina beauty queen Catriona Gray is her favorite Miss Universe winner. “There’s so many of them,” she says. “All of them but I’m a little biased towards Catriona because I am half-Filipino myself. Her reign was so amazing, and I’ve always looked up to her as a role model.”

Paula M. Shugart, president of the Miss Universe Organization, is impressed by how real Arruda is, and how she wants to bring awareness to children like her youngest sibling.

“The joy that Ki‘ilani radiated ... was so beautiful and genuine,” Shugart said.

“Leading with a heart like that, I know she will be a wonderful Miss Teen USA. I was so touched when I spoke with her to learn about her younger brother, and how he has inspired her in her philanthropic work as an advocate for those with autism.

Currently, Arruda is a distance learner at the University of Puget Sound, studying molecular and cellular biology.

Arruda plans to continue her education at the Stanford University School of Medicine to become a dermatologist. Inspired by her youngest brother’s autism, she has earned her Registered Behavior Technician license to advocate for him and others with autism.

“I want to say a big thank you to my mom Napualani, my dad Kaipo Kealalio, my little sister Lea and my little brother Channing for always being there for me and supporting my dreams from day one,” Arruda said. “They have really been the backbone of this whole entire experience, and I love you guys so much.”

No comments:

Post a Comment