Friday, August 3, 2018

TGIF Feature: Constance Wu hopes that Asian Americans can be heroes of their own stories


AS PART OF THE BUILD-UP to the highly anticipated Aug. 15 release of the movie Crazy Rich Asians, three of the movie's stars along with the director Jon M. Chu graced the cover of The Hollywood Reporter Monday (Aug. 1).


Inside the tabloid is a great story of how the creators of the movie, based on the best-selling novel of Kevin Kwan, turned down a huge financial offer from Netflix to go with Warner Brothers in order to ensure that film would reach the widest movie-going audience.

The director, the author and the movie's actors are making the rounds of interviews to promote the film, the first Hollywood studio product in 25 years to feature an all-Asian and Asian American cast.


The same day Chu and three of the film's stars -- Constance Wu, Michelle Yeoh and Henry Golding -- appeared on the cover of the movie industry tabloid, Wu tweeted a powerful message

"My dear friend Ava DuVernay says, 'I work in an industry that really has no regard for my voice and the voice of people like me and so, what do I do? Keep knocking on that door or build your own house?'" Wu said.

"My dear Asian American friends, we are building our own damn houses. We got the tools, the ability and we definitely got the style."

She added: "I hope Asian American kids watch Crazy Rich Asians and realise they can be the heroes of their own stories.

"I know Crazy Rich Asians won't represent every Asian-American. So for those who don't feel seen, I hope there is a story you find soon that does represent you. I am rooting for you," said Wu, 
who also stars in ABC's Fresh Off the Boat, partially based on Eddie Huang's memoir,


DIOKNO / ASAM NEWS 
Constance Wu stars in 'Crazy Rich Asians' and ABC's 'Fresh Off the Boat.'
Here is Wu's entire tweet:


_________________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment