Friday, July 6, 2018

Character actor Denis Akiyama Dead at 66

COLUMBIA / SONY PICTURES
DENIS AKIYAMA

ASAM NEW


YOU MAY not know his name, but chances are you’ve seen or heard him.
Actor Denis Akiyama, who played the creator of Pac Man in Pixels and the voice of the warrior Malachite in Sailor Moon, died Thursday at the age of 66, reported The Hollywood Reporter.

His family says he died of cancer.

Akiyama talked about his decision to transition from a career in child care to become an actor during an interview with the Toronto National Association of Japanese Canadians in 2013.

“Since we only have one life, and I chose to be true to my talents, it was a very serious moment for me. I always knew I had a purpose; I had to really be courageous. I just wanted to do the work. I wasn’t concerned about fame — and, I knew my Japaneseness was going to influence the outcome, he said at the time.

According to Comicbook.com, he was born in Toronto in 1952 and was heard in many animated features including Silver Samurai/Iceman in X-Men in the 90s as well as in the video games Rainbow Six and Deus Ex.

Other notable film credits include roles in Johnny Mnemonic opposite Keanu Reeves and in Captive Hearts with Pat Morita.

Friends remember him for his compassion and kindness.

“Denis often brought clarity into my life. In the rare, quieter moments between his showmanship, musical passion and animated humor, he would don the hats of both muse and mensch and tell me what I needed to hear. Between drinks,” wrote Warren Young about his friend.

“So humble so gracious. No pretension. He leaves behind an inspiring legacy,” said Albert Chung.

No comments:

Post a Comment