Thursday, January 25, 2018

Hey Democrats! Here is Trump's bargaining strategy for DACA




AS SEN. CHUCK SCHUMER begins to renegotiate with Donald Trump the budget by  using the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) as a bargaining chip, it might be helpful for him and the other Democrats to read parts of "Art of the Deal," the book Trump had ghost-written for him.

The "Art of the Deal" became a No. 1 Best Seller back in 1987. It is part autobiography and part describing how to bargain for anything - whether it be a raise, a job or business proposition ... or, negotiating with Democrats about DACA.

He fancies himself unsurpassed as a wheeler-dealer as he outlines his strategy for negotiating a deal, which Shumer and the Democrats find themselves doing with the White House.

Inc, outlined Trump's strategy with quotes from the book. I've added the references to the U.S. policies that his administration has proposed or implemented:

Think big

"I like thinking big. I always have. To me it's very simple: if you're going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big."

Trump: Build the Damned Wall on the border between Mexico and the U.S.

Protect the downside and the upside will take care of itself


"I always go into the deal anticipating the worst. If you plan for the worst--if you can live with the worst--the good will always take care of itself."

Trump: Characterize all immigrants as criminals.

Maximize the options


"I never get too attached to one deal or one approach...I keep a lot of balls in the air, because most deals fall out, no matter how promising they seem at first."

Trump: Mexico will pay for the wall. If that doesn't work, get Congress to include $25 million for the wall. Meanwhile, throw in a Muslim ban and push an anti-family immigration plan.

Know your market


"I like to think that I have that instinct. That's why I don't hire a lot of number-crunchers, and I don't trust fancy marketing surveys. I do my own surveys and draw my own conclusions."

Trump: Don't alienate the white, xenophobic Republican base of support. Play to their fears of "others."

Use your leverage

"The worst thing you can possibly do in a deal is seem desperate to make it. That makes the other guy smell blood, and then you're dead."



Get the word out

"One thing I've learned about the press is that they're always hungry for a good story, and the more sensational the better...The point is that if you are a little different, a little outrageous, or if you do things that are bold or controversial, the press is going to write about you."

Trump: Not much to add to this one. Pick any number of tweets postet by @realdonaldtrump.

Fight back

"In most cases I'm very easy to get along with. I'm very good to people who are good to me. But when people treat me badly or unfairly or try to take advantage of me, my general attitude, all my life, has been to fight back very hard."

Trump: If Democrats want something for DACA participants, demand funding for the Wall, threaten to end family reunification priorities, propose to halve the total of legal immigrants - all of which in Trump's proposed "reform" of immigration rules.


Deliver the goods

"You can't con people, at least not for long. You can create excitement, you can do wonderful promotion and get all kinds of press, and you can throw in a little hyperbole. But if you don't deliver the goods, people will eventually catch on."

Trump: People are catching on that there's no substance to Trump, just a lot of hot air. Witness the millions of people who joined the marches against the Trump administration policies in Trump's first year of office.

Democrats have to be careful not to give in too easily when bargaining with Trump. It may take walking away from the table, or ... shutting down the government.
_________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment