Saturday, November 11, 2017

George Takei denies accusation of sexual assault

George Takei

AN ACCUSATION of sexual assault against actor and social activist George Takei denied the accusation against him of sexual assault.
The Hollywood Reporter this week, published the 1981 account by Scott R. Brunton, in which the former model accused Takei of "groping at his crotch and trying to take his underwear off" after he allegedly had a drink at Takei's home and became disoriented.
"The next thing I remember I was coming to and he had my pants down around my ankles and he was groping my crotch and trying to get my underwear off and feeling me up at the same time, trying to get his hands down my underwear," Brunton said in his report to The Hollywood Reporter. 
"I came to and said, 'What are you doing?!' I said, 'I don't want to do this.' He goes, 'You need to relax. I am just trying to make you comfortable. Get comfortable.' And I said, 'No. I don't want to do this.' And I pushed him off and he said, 'OK, fine.' And I said I am going to go and he said, 'If you feel you must. You're in no condition to drive.' I said, 'I don't care I want to go.' So I managed to get my pants up and compose myself and I was just shocked. I walked out and went to my car until I felt well enough to drive home, and that was that."
Takei is strongly denying that the events ever occurred and gave an emotional response this morning (Nov. 11) via Twitter and Facebook . He wrote about how hurtful the claims are in his Facebook post, which reads: 
"Friends,
I'm writing to respond to the accusations made by Scott R. Brunton. I want to assure you all that I am as shocked and bewildered at these claims as you must feel reading them.
 
The events he describes back in the 1980s simply did not occur, and I do not know why he has claimed them now. I have wracked my brain to ask if I remember Mr. Brunton, and I cannot say I do. But I do take these claims very seriously, and I wanted to provide my response thoughtfully and not out of the moment. 
Right now it is a he-said / he-said situation, over alleged events nearly 40 years ago. But those that know me understand that non-consensual acts are so antithetical to my values and my practices, the very idea that someone would accuse me of this is quite personally painful.   
Brad, who is 100 percent beside me on this, as my life partner of more than 30 years and now my husband, stands fully by my side. I cannot tell you how vital it has been to have his unwavering support and love in these difficult times.
Thanks to many of you for all the kind words and trust. It means so much to us.
 
Yours in gratitude,
George"
Take is the latest celebrity to be accused of sexual misconduct after the accusations against movie mogul Harvey Weinstein became public last month. Since then women in every profession, not just the entertainment industry, have been revealing incidents in which they were victimized by sexual misconduct, harassment or assaults by men in power. 

Among the well-known me who have been accused of sexual misconduct are:against director Brett Ruttner, actors Kevin Spacey, Dustin Hoffman and Ben Affleck and comedian Louis CK, rappers R. Kelly and Roy Moore, GOP candidate for U.S. senator for Alabama.

Takei is best known for playing Hikaru Sulu in the original 1960s Star Trek series and follow-up films. He came out as gay in 2005, and has been a vocal activist for LGBT rights on social media.

He has also been active and revered in the AAPI community, where is often referred to as "Uncle George," mentoring and supporting AAPI projects and actors, often speaking out on various causes including the lack of Asian/American representation in the motion picture industry. 

The stage musical Allegiance is largely based on his own experiences as a young child in the WWII Japanese American internment camps.

At age 80, he had become gained celebrity status among younger fans for his use of social media for criticizing the Donald Trump administration's policies on immigration, justice and equity.
________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment