Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer announces his retirement

Nick Ut with the photo that impacted Americans' view of the Vietnam War.
Reprinted from AsAm News
AFTER 51 years with the Associated Press, Nick Ut says he will retire in March of next year, reports Ahn Do of the Los Angeles Times.

Ut, 66, is best known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning 1972 photograph of a naked Vietnamese girl running in terror after being badly burned by napalm.

Today Ut is a fixture at many of Los Angeles’ biggest stories including the Michael Jackson, OJ Simpson and Night Stalker trials.

“I’m a lucky guy,” said Ut. “They knew my picture and they welcomed me. That picture gave me respect and allowed me to keep doing my job.” After 51 years with the Associated Press, Nick Ut says he will retire in March of next year, reports the L.A. Times.

Today Ut is a fixture at many of Los Angeles’ biggest stories including the Michael Jackson, OJ Simpson and Night Stalker trials.


Nick Ut/Associated Press
Nick Ut's famous photo showing Kim Phuc Phan  and other children running away from a napalm attack.

“I’m a lucky guy,” said Ut. “They knew my picture and they welcomed me. That picture gave me respect and allowed me to keep doing my job.”

The napalm girl was later identified as Kim Phuc Phan. The two remain friends to this day. It was Ut who took her and some of the other children to the hospital before he ran back to AP to develop his photos.

“Kim’s picture continue making me famous,” he said.

“That photograph is more powerful than bombs,” Phuc said this summer at a Los Angeles Press Club gala, presenting a career achievement award to her “Uncle Ut.”


After the fall of Saigon in 1975, Ut was assigned to Tokyo where he remained until his arrival in the United States two years later.
(Views from the Edge contributed to this report.)
###

No comments:

Post a Comment