Thursday, January 8, 2015

Je suis Charlie: Terror in Paris



Je suis Charlie
My "pen"


THE TERRORIST ATTACK on Charlie Hebdo, a French satirical magazine, strikes close to the bone for me.

After 28 years in journalism. I've come to value freedom of expression, ... even if I don't agree with all that is conveyed.

Lacking a pen to hold up in support, I hold up its 21st century equivalent.

I've seen the power of a free press. It forced a U.S. president to resign; it brought the brutal police beatings of civil rights demonstrators and the bloody battles of Vietnam into America's living rooms; and brought the truth of the Marcos dictatorship to the halls of Congress.

The exchange of ideas and the inspiration of ideals are the enemy of oppressors. 

For the 12 who died, for those who prick the pompous, mock the mighty, bring down the haughty, write or draw a truth through wicked wit, I am Charlie.


UPDATE: The terrorists were killed Friday (Jan. 9) in a hail of gunfire with French police, two days after the attack on Charlie Hebdo.



No comments:

Post a Comment