Monday, February 12, 2018

2018 Winter Olympics: Californian skating for South Korea averts wardrobe malfunction

Despite a wardrobe malfunction, the South Korean team continued with their routine.

YURA MIN almost had a Janet Jackson moment during her performance at the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, South Korea.
Skating for Team South Korea, one of clasps that secured her costume came undone in the middle of her performance with partner, another American, Alexander Gamelin. Both skaters have dual citizenships.

"Five seconds into the routine, my hook came undone," Min said, via the Detroit Free Press. "I was like, ‘Oh no!’ If that comes undone, the whole thing could just pop off. I was terrified the entire program."

"I didn’t stop," Min said. "I went from the beginning to the end. I didn’t stop because you get a deduction if you stop in the middle of a program. In my head, I was thinking, ‘Is it better to stop and fix it and get the deduction or keep going?’

"The fans kept cheering. Obviously, this is my first Olympics. I don’t want to let loose. I was terrified. I tried my best to keep it together." In more ways than one.


Americans Yura Min and Alexander Gamelin competed for South Korea.
Both of Min’s parents emigrated from South Korea before she was born in Torrance, Calif. “I was American when I went to school but I was raised in a very Korean household,” Min said. “My mom always raised me, like, ‘You are Korean. You have to learn Korean and know Korean culture.

She managed to keep her outfit in place to finish the pair's routine. At one point, she had to stop her twizzle (dual twirls) to pull up her top and that may have affected the final score. The American South Koreans finished ninth out of the 10 teams.

The pair will return in the dance skating competition and you can bet there will be extra clasps on Min's costume.
_______________________________________________________________________________
  

No comments:

Post a Comment