Thursday, July 9, 2015

Jeremy Lin signs with the Charlotte Hornets

Jeremy Lin was reportedly not happy on the Los Angeles Lakers.
ONE-HALF of the NBA's first all-Asian American backcourt is leaving. Jeremy Lin used his Facebook page to announce last night that he was going to the Charlotte Hornets, departing the Los Angeles Lakers after a disappointing season. 

Today (June 9), the Hornets made the signing official, signing the point guard on the first day the league allowed free agent signings.

"Going into my first true free agency as an NBA player this off-season, the one thing that mattered to me the most was finding a team that would be a good fit for me," Lin wrote on his official site. "I wanted to be on a team where I would be able to play freely and truly play the game I love with joy again. That has always been the most important thing to me. After a LOT of prayer and long discussions with family and friends, I wanted to personally let you guys know I'll be joining the Charlotte Hornets."
________________________________________________________________________________         Related: Jeremy Lin on Linsanity, the Lakers, and that Kobe Bryant Vine
               Jeremy Lin opens up about race
               Lin and Clarkson form first Asian American guard tandem
________________________________________________________________________________

"My journey has never looked the way I (or anyone else) thought it would, but God has always worked things out for my good and I am confident that he will continue to do so," Lin continued. "I want to thank Coach Clifford and the Hornets organization for this opportunity - for taking the time to talk to me, understanding my game, and most importantly, making it clear they believe in me. For those of you who have been patiently waiting for news, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for joining me on this journey. To the Lakers organization and the city of Los Angeles, thank you for your support this past season."

Lin never met the high expectations that comes with his $14-million salary. With the Lakers, Lin started as the backup guard behind superstar Kobe Bryant. When Bryant got injured midseason, Lin became the primary point guard. But that didn't relieve him of the pressure of L.A.'s spotlight because of - well, - because the team was the high profile Lakers in a city that loves its superstars. It was clear that Lin was not comfortable with the L.A. team. He was often the target of derision from Bryant on and off the court.

When Lin played with rookie shooting guard Jordan Clarkson, a Filipino/American, they formed the first Asian American backcourt in professional basketball.

Signing with the Hornets takes the burden of high expectations off his shoulder. He will be the sixth man, the first man off the bench. Charlotte Hornets general manager Rich Cho says signing Lin offers his team a “different dimension” at point guard.

“One thing he can really do is get into the paint,” Cho said in a conference call with Charlotte media. “With our second unit, that’s important. We have several players in our second unit who can benefit from that. All of them will benefit from his ability to get shots for others.”


Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article26864698.html#storylink=cpy

"The team's needs should also benefit Lin, who has also looked his best when he can dominate the ball," wrote Yahoo Sports' Eric Freeman. "Unlike many role players, he thrives when more is asked of him."

No comments:

Post a Comment