Thursday, September 13, 2018

Filipina American dances her way into America's heart

FOX NETWORK
Hannahlei Cabanilla reacts upon winning 'So You Think You Can Dance."

AMERICA'S FAVORITE dancer is Hannahlei Cabanilla, a Filipina American from Orange County.

The 18-year old UC Irvine student was chosen by the show's viewers as winner of the 15th season of So You Think You Can Dance competition.

“It was the best moment of my life,” she told reporters following the show on Monday, Sept. 10.

“My hands were sweating, my heart was pounding, my hands were shaking. I would be happy with whatever the results are cause I’ve had such an amazing experience, but it’s so amazing that I’m America’s favorite dancer!” she said.

For her prize, Hannahlei took home $250,000, as well as a magazine cover and a role in Fox's upcoming live broadcast of the Tony-winning musical Rent, which is scheduled on January 27, 2019 on Fox.

“I’m going to take my parents on a trip, because they’ve supported me throughout this whole process and throughout my whole dance career and I just owe it to them,” said 
Hannahlei.



In her first appearance before the judges, 
Hannahlei's dancing impressed Vanessa Hudgens. “It was just magical, truly magical," Hudgens told her. "Hannahlei, my fellow Filipino girl, you make me proud. You’re just like a dream. Your lines are just so astonishing, so beautiful.”

Hannahlei is the second-straight Asian American to win the the dance title.
Last season, Lex Ishimoto was voted “America’s favorite dancer” title. Ishimoto is from Irving in Orange County. Hannahlei joked “there’s something in the water down in Orange County, so watch out.”
Watch Hannahlei's dancing on Kelly and Ryan the day after she won her title.
______________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment