Thursday, November 9, 2017

Family matters: Two Asian American women are in the Virginia House of Delegates

Delegate-elect Kathy Tran and her family.

ON MONDAY, the day before election day, there were no Asian/American women in Virginia's House of Delegates. Today (Nov. 8), the day after Virginia's voters cast their ballots, there are now two Asian/American women serving in the state's legislature.

Kathy Tran of the 42nd District and Kelly Fowler of the 21st District, both running for office for the first time, broke through that glass ceiling to win their respective races.

Both of the women were inspired to run for office by the election of Donald Trump last year and the kind of future their daughters might face. "I ran because I couldn't stand on the sidelines," said Tran.

Tran, 39, gave birth to her daughter a month after the inauguration. She and her husband, Matthew Reisman, chose the name Elise, inspired by Ellis Island, through which Reisman’s family immigrated to escape anti-Semitism. The middle name, “Minh Khanh,” is Vietnamese for “bright bell,” inspired by the Liberty Bell. "I needed to stand up and fight for those values and fight for my kids' future," she said.

"I was devastated by Hillary’s loss, as I felt that hatred had won," explained Fowler. "My daughter had to process Hillary’s loss into her understanding of the world – that the bad guy sometimes wins. It was extremely difficult for her, because she took it as validation that the other side was right, being mean to people was okay, and being different was not okay. I knew I had to step up if I was going to make things right."

Fowler released a poweruful video during the campaign explaining her decision to enter the political fray. In the video, Fowler talks about her 8-year-old daughter being “heartbroken” after Trump’s election in November. 
"And that’s when I truly woke up. I knew I had to do something to save her powerful, generous, brilliant, caring spirit. So I took her to the Women’s March in DC and during the experience I realized that I needed that as much as she did. I accepted the call to no longer be silent. In an effort to save my daughter I found myself and was forever changed. The next month I decided to show both my girls what democracy looks like and I’m now running for office in my hometown of Virginia Beach, Virginia. I won’t lie to you: it’s really hard — every day. I ask that you support me and encourage me through this. I promise that I won’t stop because I am responsible for the world that they live in. Thank you."
With their immigrant backgrounds, it is no surprise that they advocate for inclusion and welcoming of new Americans and allowing the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program continue to allow Dreamers to remain in the U.S.

Tran and her parents fled Vietnam as boat refugees when she was just seven months old. 

Although many other countries offered them asylum, they waited 13 months for the United States to accept their application. Tran's family risked everything to come to America because this country has always represented hope, opportunity and freedom.

Tran has devoted her career to ensuring that all working families have the opportunity to achieve the American Dream. During her 12 years of service at the U.S. Department of Labor, she served in numerous leadership positions, including as the Acting Administrator for the Office of Workforce Investment and the Director of the Division of Policy, Legislation, and Regulation. 


Tran went on to work at the National Immigration Forum, one of the nation’s leading immigration advocacy organizations. There, she advocated for policies that prepare immigrants in the workforce to reach their full career potential.

Tran graduated from Duke University and earned her Master of Social Work from the University of Michigan. The president of her local PTA, she and her husband Matt live in West Springfield with their four children, Daven (8), Charlotte (6), Quinn (4), and baby Elise. They are avid Washington Nationals fans.



Delegate-elect Kelly Convirs-Fowler and her family

Fowler and her husband Dave were raised in the 21st District in military families and are now raising their two daughters here as well. She is a former Virginia Beach public school teacher who now leads a team of real estate agents who specialize in military relocation. Dave is a deputy with the Virginia Beach Sheriff's Department.

Fowler's grandfathers were from the Philippines and served in the U.S. Navy, which allowed them to become US citizens. Raymond Ramirez passed in 2011, while Francisco Sacdalan was laid to rest in Arlington in the fall of 2012. With the exception of an aunt who lives in North Carolina, the rest of Kelly's family still lives in the 21st District!

Fowler attended Tallwood High School and began working at age 15 to save money in order to realize her dream of being the first member of her family to attend college. Working her way through school, she graduated from Virginia Wesleyan College, where she majored in Psychology and Criminal Justice. She then attended Old Dominion University where she obtained her Masters in Education and went on to serve the needs of Virginia Beach families as a teacher at Lynnhaven Elementary, a Title 1 school.

While teaching, Fowler followed a dream and started a business based on her lifelong love of history. After a great deal of research and planning, she began purchasing distressed Victorian homes and lovingly restoring them so that new generations of Hampton Roads families could make their own history in them. Her successful home renovation business gave her first hand experience with the kinds of challenges small business owners face every day.

Fowler is passionate about fairness and ensuring that government works for everyone, not just the rich and well connected. She campaigned heavily for the expansion of Medicaid in the state, perhaps the most important issue facing Virginians based on election results.



________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment