|Fans gather outside Oracle Arena prior to Game One of the 2017 NBA Championship series.|
WATCHING the Golden State Warriors play against the Cleveland Cavaliers in the finals of the 2017 NBA playoffs, you couldn't help but notice the makeup of the crowd in Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif.
From its heritage nights for Chinese, Filipinos, Japanese, Pacific Islanders, to its aggressive social media strategy to the yearly visits to Asia during the off-season, the Warriors' marketing plan seems to be working.
Basketball is the most popular sport in Asia and Asian immigrants have carried their basketball fanaticism with them.
The San Francisco Bay Area is home to over 1.6 million Asian American residents, according to the 2010 Census numbers, The entire state of Ohio ihas only 204,000 AAPI residents.
The Warriors' newest commercial included these Asian/Americans:
Since this is the third year the Warriors are meeting the Cavaliers in the finals, I don't have a lot to add to this topic, but for new readers, here are some links you might be interested in reading.
- The Warriors'' Asian connection
- Warriors star Stef Curry leaves his mark on Asia
- Curry's barber is a Fiiipino/American
- Filipinos make up a third of the Warriors' Facebook fans
- The Warriors secret weapon is a 10-year old Filipina American
- NBA celebrates Chinese New Year with a special commercial
- Happy Chinese New Year