Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Nike drops Pacquaio after he made anti-gay remarks

Manny Pacquiao

NO AMOUNT of bobbing and weaving by Manny Pacquiao could avoid the barbs hurled at him for saying that gays are worst than "worse than animals."

Even though he apologized by social media, Nike, one of his major sponsors withdrew their support for Pacquiao.

“We find Manny Pacquiao’s comments abhorrent,” a Nike statement said. “Nike strongly opposes discrimination of any kind and has a long history of supporting and standing up for the rights of the LGBT community… we no longer have a relationship with Manny Pacquiao.”

The popular pugilist, who is running for the Philippine Senate, made his controversial remarks on Monday when he was asked by a Philippine TV network about his views on same-sex marriage.

“Have you seen any animal having male-to-male or female-to-female relations?”

Animals, he said, were better because they recognize gender differences, and “if you have male-to-male or female-to-female (relationships), then people are worse than animals.”

Reaction was swift from Filipino celebrities asking people not to vote for him.

Singer Aiza Seguerra, a former child actress back in the 1980s blasted Pacquiao on Instagram: “You might’ve done our country proud but with your statement, you just showed the whole country why we shouldn’t vote for you.”

“And yes, I think you are an ignorant, bigoted hypocrite,” concluded Seguerra.

A born-again Christian, Pacquiao initially defended his comments but later issued an apology.

“I’m sorry for hurting people by comparing homosexuals to animals,” he wrote. “Please forgive me for those I’ve hurt. I still stand on my belief that I’m against same sex marriage because of what the Bible says, but I’m not condemning LGBT. I love you all with the love of the Lord. God Bless you all and I’m praying for you.”

UPDATE: (Feb. 18, 2016) After Nike dropped Pacquiao, the fighter seems to have doubled down on his original statements: I am not condemning the LGBT,” Pacquiao said. “What I am condemning is the act. I’m happier because I’m telling the truth ... It’s worse if we will hide the truth. I’m happier that a lot of people were alarmed by the truth.” 

Currently a congressman, Pacquiao is running for a Senate seat where he is considered one of the frontrunnners because of his immense popularity.

Pacquiao has said he would retire after meeting Timothy Bradley on April 9 in Las Vegas in what will be his last fight.

For more news about Asian/American &Pacific Islanders, read AsAm News.


No comments:

Post a Comment